Business Questions

Increase your odds of business success: start with good people, make something customers actually want, and spend as little money as possible.

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.34K Views
Dividends are higher than profits?

I'm looking at the S-1 filing of Shutterstock: http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1549346/000104746912005905/a2209364zs-1.htm It says that $20.5mil, $25.9mil and $28.6mil of dividends were paid...

asked May 28 '12 at 08:11
Blank
Kate
99 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.75K Views
Could dividends in a limited company be paid out selectively?

Could a limited company decide to pay dividends only to certain individuals, e.g., those who hold 50% or more of the outstanding shares? If not, do dividends have to be paid out proportionately to...

asked May 29 '12 at 02:18
Blank
Kate
99 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.07K Views
Need approval to sell shares in limited company?

If I and an investor own 50% of the outstanding shares in a limited company each, can I transfer some of my shares to another entity without the investor's (or any other shareholders') approval?...

asked May 29 '12 at 11:39
Blank
Kate
99 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.01K Views
Business Plan Timeline with regards to Start Date / Launch Date

I'm pretty sure I know whats the answer, would like another opinion. I am using generic time values in my business plan (M1, Y1). I want to know the proper way of displaying my sales forecast....

asked May 30 '12 at 23:55
Blank
Chieftec
10 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.13K Views
Using Dubai as a tax haven - US nationals

My friend approached me with a business idea of selling a service to allow US business owners to incorporate in Dubai in order to avoid taxes. She resides in Dubai and owns a business there, and...

asked May 31 '12 at 10:55
Blank
Chris
1 point

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.28K Views
Starting a software company without registration

I want to sell a software product. I would like to use a brand name e.g. mysoftcompany in the EULA (End User License Agreement) and in the contact details of webpage. So that the software is sold...

asked Jun 1 '12 at 01:51
Blank
User17330
18 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.67K Views
LLC vs S Corp for a new business?

I am starting a new business in California and can't decide whether it should be an LLC or S Corp or an LLC as a S Corp. It would be a single person LLC or S Corp (no other shareholders or...

asked Jun 2 '12 at 07:21
Blank
Lynne
11 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.83K Views
How to register an IT company in USA?

My brother-in-law in India wants to open(register) an IT company in US. Is that possible? How? And if now, then I'm here in US with a student visa. Can I register an IT company in USA and help...

asked May 18 '12 at 04:19
Blank
Jigar Brahmbhatt
11 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.65K Views
Changing from self employed to an LLC

At the moment I work self employed as a web developer creating websites. One such website has become fairly popular and I'm considering adding trademarks etc, is it possible/straightforward to...

asked May 1 '12 at 01:08
Blank
Silver89
106 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
3K Views
Is it dangerous to buy equipment for a new LLC without guaranteed Income yet.

Hopefully I will manage to create an LLC pretty soon, within the next few weeks. I do not own a laptop and I was thinking in buying a laptop then I can write it off as a business expense. What...

asked May 8 '12 at 06:13
Blank
Viriato
144 points

-2 Votes
2 Answers
1.6K Views
What is more important: growth or margins?

I have a startup which is 2 years old. I would like to know whether I should be more concerned about growth or profit margins? My startup is a software development firm.

asked Apr 17 '12 at 10:32
Blank
Meetpd
99 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.9K Views
What plan of IT outsource company to get long term clients

We are small IT outsource company located in Ukraine (but registered in USA). We have clients over the world. We are working like dedicated team, for existed projects who need cost effective...

asked Apr 23 '12 at 03:13
Blank
Paul
1 point

-1 Votes
1 Answers
2.17K Views
Automating Business Owner Validation/Verification

We are looking for a way to validate that the person who creates an account has the ability to speak for the business in question. (Only U.S. based businesses for now.) And we are looking for ways...

asked Apr 23 '12 at 07:44
Blank
Local Pc Guy
99 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.31K Views
purchasing a company

I am looking at purchasing a service business in California that states it makes $160K in revenue and $120K in Net income. What Can I expect to net (estimate) after taxes with a LLC? Is it a 39%...

asked Apr 25 '12 at 03:28
Blank
Thomas
6 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2K Views
Company location vs state of incorporation vs residency

Okay, I hope someone can answer my question. My husband has a company incorporated in state A, where we used to reside. He is the only officer and only employee. We moved to state B but kept the...

asked Apr 9 '12 at 22:34
Blank
Dcg
11 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.35K Views
Frozen Homemade Food Business

I want to start up a frozen homemade food business. The food/meal should be just like we make at home. The sale will be like membership on the website. For example someone will buy dinner for 1...

asked Mar 24 '12 at 20:00
Blank
Ela Oktay
11 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.41K Views
How to find people with business background to complete the team?

We are a very strong team technology-wise but little start-up/business experience on board. It would make an awful lot of sense to extend the team with someone who potentially has start-up...

asked Mar 13 '12 at 15:31
Blank
Michael Hausenblas
118 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
3.66K Views
Can I get away with being a mediocre programmer in a games start-up?

I have managed to get myself a job as a graduate programmer in a games studio developing AAA games - but just barely. I was hired more for my ideas than anything else - frankly, I think they made a...

asked Mar 20 '12 at 21:06
Blank
Sir Yakalot
123 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
2.14K Views
Microbrewing Commercially

Two of my childhood friends have started microbrewing and have a small following in their town. They were asking me if I wanted to join in since I have startup experience. I am putting together an...

asked Mar 22 '12 at 00:07
Blank
Jeremy Boyd
110 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.65K Views
Profit and loss sharing among three co-founders

I'm participating in some business funding and recently we've faced a severe problem. The question is quite simple: how do we share profit, so that no one would be left behind? So, there's three...

asked Mar 22 '12 at 19:12
Blank
Denys S.
166 points