Software Questions

Successful startups make money by offering people better technology than they have now.

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.1K Views
Should non-technical entrepreneurs get product management training?

So this is my case: 1) I don't know programming 2) I don't know much about product management 3) I don't have a team nor do I have a prototype/idea yet. So would I be better off : a) training...

asked Dec 12 '11 at 23:21
Blank
Drew X
77 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.02K Views
How to properly estimate the cost and necessary income for a new SAAS project?

I will launch a new SAAS (software as service) invoicing app for the iPad. This is in late-stage development. My startup is small, and I want a clear picture on the cost of the project, and...

asked Dec 16 '11 at 08:35
Blank
Mamcx
113 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.08K Views
How do I protect myself contractually while providing software consulting services?

My partner and I are software developers. We have formed an LLC and are starting to take consulting gigs. We have spent most of our careers at larger companies and have never been involved with...

asked Dec 2 '11 at 15:15
Blank
Frank
113 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.24K Views
Where does the rights to the software lies when I've used them in the company?

I've developed an authoring tool for games and also a player that plays them on Android. One year ago I founded a company with friends and we've published some really cool games by using the engine...

asked Dec 3 '11 at 00:15
Blank
George Breed
6 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.11K Views
Are there commercial cross-platform desktop software that are deployed via zip file with no installer (just let user extract and run)?

Due to technical limitations of a 3rd party library I am using, I am forced to deploy my application in a zip file, containing a .bat script that will launch the application. How important is the...

asked Dec 4 '11 at 20:51
Blank
Kim Jong Woo
644 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.48K Views
Creative solution for copyright infringement by UK university

This question is sort of a follow up to: Creating non-profit startup from open-source software project Selling using the honor system Basically, I'm selling software on the honor system for $5 to...

asked Dec 8 '11 at 00:34
Blank
Kekito
1,936 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.1K Views
App developed in company time has potential to be sold commercially. Need advise

Situation I work on the public sector and have developed a web app for internal use to handle a department's business process. The application has been a success according to its users. Some of...

asked Dec 8 '11 at 06:37
Blank
Viriato
144 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.25K Views
does ideas have a price?

I'm a software developer and some time ago, I've shared an idea to a friend. I've said, look, I think that this app will boost your services and someday I'll do it for you. That friend was very...

asked Nov 23 '11 at 21:35
Blank
Dole Doug
141 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
1.79K Views
Andorid app, on what horse should I bet

What are risk profile and profitability of development different Android application types? I would say there are three kind of applications: "Classical" application that does something useful...

asked Nov 25 '11 at 03:14
Blank
Paolo
123 points

-1 Votes
1 Answers
1.96K Views
How to price this software

We are building software for a medium-sized company 'X'. Software is unique but strongly depends on data which the company 'X' can gather and plug into the software. We develop that exclusively...

asked Nov 26 '11 at 05:47
Blank
James
102 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.39K Views
Offering software without any DRM / hardware locking - negative consequences and how to avoid them

Let me be the first to play the part of Mr Obvious and state that any DRM can be broken. (I expect the usual amount of upvotes for that) Now, what are the pros of offering a software without...

asked Nov 14 '11 at 23:33
Blank
User9982
206 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.81K Views
Partner not signing dissolution agreement

I had internal agreement with my partner for one the portal. My contribution was portal development while his contribution was sales and company formation. It's been 1.5 years and still he...

asked Nov 18 '11 at 01:24
Blank
Asif
6 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
3.4K Views
I'm a geek, I'm alone, I want to sell my amazing product. I'm not a commercial. How should I do?

Here's my quick CV: I'm a real geek: for 18 years between 8 and 12hours a day in front of a computer; no girlfriend until 20 because computers were more important than anything else; nervous...

asked Nov 20 '11 at 08:23
Blank
Olivier Dofus
16 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.13K Views
Advice on software startups

Well, I have an idea, which I think it is very cool, and also have potential to package as a service. But it is only the idea, I need a product or service to make a living or earning cash flow,...

asked Nov 22 '11 at 11:50
Blank
Ted Wong
171 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.2K Views
Please, prioritize this list of features for any Software Product

From your experience, as entrepreneur or as user, please order from the most important (1) to the least important (6) these features for a software product... A) Support (mail, chat or phone) B)...

asked Nov 5 '11 at 08:52
Blank
Nestor Sanchez A
690 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
4.33K Views
What are the advantages and disadvantages to entrust to a third party an application development?

I am quite experienced in the field of Web Projects and I have a capital (500.000 $). "I am planning"\"I would like" to create a "great" Web site and I noticed that I have two choices: assign the...

asked Nov 11 '11 at 20:52
Blank
User12882
108 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.71K Views
Pricing Custom Software already developed

I work in the POS industry. A third-party company with a very profitable concept has sold their software to some of my customers. They gave the software to them yet my customer had to call me to...

asked Nov 13 '11 at 11:39
Blank
User14390
1 point

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.37K Views
What are the steps to start a software consulting company to hire consultants

I would like to start a software consulting company to hire software engineers who can be contracted for larger firms. How to start the company, what type of compnay (thinking of LLC - is that...

asked Oct 31 '11 at 08:27
Blank
Zedi
11 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.85K Views
Registering a trademark for software

I would like to know if registering trademark for software in some countries is too expensive for us and we develop a software which is hard to copy, can we survive without trademark for software?...

asked Nov 1 '11 at 22:30
Blank
John
38 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
6.37K Views
What are the ways to sell desktop applications

I'm figuring the ways to sell software online. I want a service that is easy to use. PayPal is good, but I'm not sure if most of the people have PayPal. Also Fortumo is a good service, it works in...

asked Nov 2 '11 at 21:51
Blank
Blez
126 points