Software Questions

Successful startups make money by offering people better technology than they have now.

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.03K Views
for software, how effective is to have separate commercial and personal/non-commercial versions?

I want to know, from experienced software vendors... How much effective to have separate commercial and (discounted) personal/non-commercial versions of a product (with same features)? In that...

asked Jan 9 '12 at 19:57
Blank
Nestor Sanchez A
690 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
2.49K Views
How to market a software during minimum viable product stage?

I'm about to launch my product. I'm currently preparing the website, documentation, e-commerce integration and so on. It lacks features that will be added in the next few months that will allow it...

asked Jan 10 '12 at 08:28
Blank
Nestor Sanchez A
690 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
3.05K Views
Do startups need a CRM?

I would like to hear your thought about this. If the answer is yes, what functionalities do you want a CRM to include, and would you pay for such software, or would you try to use free solutions?

asked Jan 10 '12 at 21:54
Blank
Ilian Iliev
136 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
2.18K Views
What do potential customers look for once they land on the homepage?

If a potential customer visit to a particular website, what are the things he will check, 1) What is the page rank of the website 2) what is the competency of the company 3) How much clients...

asked Jan 11 '12 at 22:34
Blank
Denil
1 point

7 Votes
2 Answers
2.53K Views
Has anyone sold a "fork" version of their software?

I created a SaaS that became quite popular over the weekend. I had a steady stream of users sign up and many are actually still using it (lots of folks who signed up out of curiosity). Anyway, I...

asked Jan 14 '12 at 01:54
Blank
Luckytaxi
177 points

1 Votes
9 Answers
4.19K Views
Looking for most permissive license for human readable source code

Having a web site that may contain source code posted by users, I am in need of a completely obligation free license, and a statement by which users agree code posted by them is allowed to be...

asked Jan 16 '12 at 12:25
Blank
Leo
120 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.26K Views
Interactive Educational Game

I'm a high school Special Education teacher who would like to develop an online educational game for students with disabilities. My current tech skills are minimal. Since my idea is in its infancy,...

asked Jan 17 '12 at 04:08
Blank
Nyc Teacher
6 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
3.26K Views
Is it possible to find an iPhone App Developer that is willing to work for a portion of the potential revenue?

I own a small software development company that gets approached many times a day with the concept of being a partner in someone’s iPhone App idea. We provide the iPhone App Development services and...

asked Jan 1 '12 at 05:25
Blank
Brett Miller
66 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.51K Views
Small consultancy - first .NET software product out. Advice on release, marketing and selling?

About a year ago I set up a Ltd company to provide IT/Software consultancy to various firms in and around London, UK. This has been going very well and I just completed my first full years accounts...

asked Jan 2 '12 at 06:41
Blank
Andrew Burnett Thompson
193 points

8 Votes
1 Answers
2.41K Views
Are non-developers really having success using Do It Yourself (DIY) or Automated iPhone Development Tools?

I own a small software development company that gets approached regularly by non-technical users who tried unsuccessfully to build their idea into an iPhone app using free (or cheap) automated...

asked Jan 2 '12 at 20:08
Blank
Brett Miller
66 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.49K Views
Difference in software licensing terms

Someone wants to purchase software that I've written. Is giving him a royalty free, exclusive world-wide license the same as selling the software? If not what are the differences?

asked Jan 4 '12 at 09:23
Blank
Sam
6 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.06K Views
Having a license to your product instead of owning it?

Contracted a developer to build a product. Contract was and we were halfway through the project before we had it in hand (realized mistake there, moving on....) We were under the impression that we...

asked Jan 6 '12 at 10:54
Blank
Eric Littleton
107 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.31K Views
CRM with email integration and useful views for support?

We're not really a startup, but we're still a small (9 employees + 1 part time sales), growing company and we finally need some CRM software. Our Owner has been using and loving MS's Business...

asked Jan 7 '12 at 04:18
Blank
Karen
116 points

3 Votes
7 Answers
3.3K Views
Desktop Software Startup: 11 Downloads, 2 pre-sale questions, no purchases

I am really stressed out. I launched about a week ago. So far there were 11 downloads of the free version. I had 2 pre-sale questions about the product. There have been no sales. I advertise that...

asked Dec 18 '11 at 15:54
Blank
Gagwgw
227 points

4 Votes
6 Answers
2.63K Views
Should I show a prototype to BigCompany? How can I encourage them to buy me out?

I have a software prototype that integrates with a product from BigCompany (like really, really big). I predict it would take 6 more months to polish it so that it's of commercial quality. But I'm...

asked Dec 19 '11 at 06:28
Blank
Robert Lee
131 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
2.68K Views
where to find a "dead" software product to acquire?

I'd like to have a software product for my consulting company. I have no idea what, but I figure there's got to be a lot of "dead" software products and failed businesses out there that people have...

asked Dec 23 '11 at 06:18
Blank
User11476
141 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.61K Views
Obfuscate or not reason?

I just wondering what is the reason for some companies to not obfuscate their product that written in Java/.NET ? I've worked with expensive enterprise software, and I helped since the software...

asked Dec 23 '11 at 14:30
Blank
Jazar
123 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.31K Views
Interpreting Invention Assignment: what does "is not related" to the company's business mean in employment contracts?

I'm talking about those Invention Assignment clauses in employment contracts (especially with regards to California labor code section 2870) "Prohibiting employee assignment to an employer of...

asked Dec 25 '11 at 21:34
Blank
Kamikaze Pilot
253 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.48K Views
court precedence on California labor code section 2870

Does anybody know of any actual court cases involving California labor code section 2870 which gives a clear precedence as to how judges would rule in such disputes (eg. a programmer makes...

asked Dec 26 '11 at 17:26
Blank
Kamikaze Pilot
253 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.73K Views
.Net Development team -- what's the best way to start a company and get outsourcing work?

We are a .net development team in India, and we are looking for outsourcing work. But how to get such work, and how to represent in the market of software development? How should we approach...

asked Dec 12 '11 at 18:53
Blank
Kuldip Mca
106 points