Software Questions

Successful startups make money by offering people better technology than they have now.

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.28K Views
One man company looking to expand already built in PHP. Is now the time to switch to Ruby?

I'm a website owner and I develop in Yii so in short, I think I'm working with more or less the "best" PHP has to offer (e.g. PDO, OOP...etc). My primary website (which is not built in any...

asked Apr 27 '12 at 04:04
Blank
Well Hungarian
116 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2K Views
What to quote an enterprise customer

I've started a software consultancy and an large fortune 500 company has approached us for a project. it's an internal CMS that will take roughly 5-6 months to develop with a team of 3. This is the...

asked May 5 '12 at 10:21
Blank
Jordan
8 points

14 Votes
6 Answers
3.39K Views
Software consultants VS Software houses profitability

Let me preface by providing a specific definition of the two types of companies I am interested in. Consultants: Software companies that generally provide their services on an hourly basis to...

asked Apr 17 '12 at 19:18
Blank
Maxim Gershkovich
234 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.29K Views
Can I sell an open source project to my client?

i have one open source project, i want to sell this to my client by making some modification in the existing project. Is it good to sell or is it permissible to sell the open source project to...

asked Apr 19 '12 at 14:33
Blank
Sam
16 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.92K Views
Using Domain name in EULA of a software rather than my name in the Licensor field

I intend to sell a software solution.I have already registered a domain but i dont have a registered company.Can i use my website/domain name eg:myproduct.com for the licensor field in the EULA...

asked Apr 6 '12 at 13:37
Blank
User17330
18 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.11K Views
How do I make sure that my company owns my software?

This seems like a silly question, but I want to make sure that my interests are protected. I own a software development company, LLC in Virginia, and I have a product that I developed and have...

asked Apr 7 '12 at 00:47
Blank
Tim
670 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.99K Views
Paying App developers in equity?

I am starting a software company. We will start with one service in particular, but will expand from there. My question is, is it reasonable to pay developers in equity alone? Also, seperate...

asked Apr 11 '12 at 02:41
Blank
User51648
9 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.2K Views
Going to be on national television to pitch my software - Need Advice

This Thursday I will be filming for a Canadian TV show where I will be pitching my software to 5 Canadian millionaires to invest in. The TV show won't air until September. The software is...

asked Apr 11 '12 at 07:51
Blank
Mike
11 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.24K Views
What is a reasonable amount to ask to investors?

I asked a question about this before, but things have changed. I developed software for basketball and football teams. I have sold 32 copies @ $20 each doing virtually nothing. I wrote a few...

asked Apr 12 '12 at 03:40
Blank
Mike
11 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.37K Views
Formula to evaluate the earnings potential when joining a startup

I'm trying to come up with a rough formula to help decide if I should join a startup. I'd like to weigh my current pay vs joining a startup, taking into account opportunity costs and possible final...

asked Apr 14 '12 at 03:26
Blank
Nick P.
6 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.49K Views
It's ok to launch a software product when Beta testing is not fully finished?

I'm having trouble finishing the Beta testing period of my software product. In particular it hangs/crashes in some laptops with low to moderate memory and speed capabilities. This problem is hard...

asked Apr 15 '12 at 16:04
Blank
Nestor Sanchez A
690 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.04K Views
Business proposal: good or bad?

The situation is this. I am a software developer that, in his free time, has developed a software library for a specific purpose. I use it to write custom applications that I sell or sell directly...

asked Mar 12 '12 at 22:11
Blank
Lukeluke
8 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.15K Views
How do I get an IP Lawyer as an Advisor

My pre-seed technology startup has developed unique IP which needs protection. The industry we're targeting is run by giants (with tons of IP), so the IP story will play a key-role on the startup....

asked Mar 13 '12 at 01:49
Blank
Ellery Familia
16 points

7 Votes
6 Answers
3.46K Views
I need advice - Lead developer slap in the face

I have been working with a startup for 6 months. It is an advertising company for which there is a very heavy technology portion (I would say 50% of the company is based off of a mobile front-end,...

asked Mar 14 '12 at 00:30
Blank
Phil
210 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.69K Views
Software Development company

we are a group of contractors and we have been working as senior developers for more than 15 years. We have worked in retailer, insurances and media agencies and we got a very strong back ground in...

asked Mar 16 '12 at 19:32
Blank
Massimiliano Peluso
172 points

8 Votes
7 Answers
3.17K Views
Off Shore vs "Self Development"

After being a senior developer for quite a few years (more than 15) I would like to start my own business and implement a product that will be used for financial purpose (it will probably take 4-5...

asked Mar 6 '12 at 04:18
Blank
Massimiliano Peluso
172 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
1.42K Views
Advertise a small application how to read first data

I just released a small application (price 20 $) that is a sort of personal database that allows users to organize their Data( videos, images, files, text etc) following a layout defined by the...

asked Mar 8 '12 at 00:54
Blank
Derek21
1 point

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.31K Views
How to do marketing research in Finance related software?

I am a software developer in Canada. 2 years ago, a close friend referred me a business owner who is running Futures trading firm(12+ employees) in Chicago. He need some system to help them manage...

asked Mar 10 '12 at 09:18
Blank
Smm
21 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.77K Views
what methods exist to securely have clients send you their files and other important documents?

I am going to start an online business and would like to know what all the options are out there. I have found sites/services such as yousendit.com. What are other methods/sites that I should...

asked Mar 12 '12 at 12:13
Blank
User16817
63 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
2.3K Views
Equity for a technical cofounder

Possible Duplicate: Forming a new software startup, how do I allocate ownership fairly? I'm a developer who has been in contact with a nontechnical cofounder to become the technical cofounder in...

asked Feb 22 '12 at 08:38
Blank
Fred
6 points