Software Questions

Successful startups make money by offering people better technology than they have now.

2 Votes
4 Answers
3.07K Views
Is it illegal to sell a software template created at work but duplicated and augmented at home?

I am an employee at a large company and I created a worksheet using my work computer. The worksheet helps me organize my info such as passwords and time-off records. I replicated it and then...

asked Feb 28 '12 at 11:36
Blank
Es Developer
11 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
3.07K Views
How to nail down requirement when the customer is not sure what s/he wants?

Customer comes with a rough software idea and is willing to pay. However, he does not have a detailed requirement. Please kindly advice what to do with this situation (or links to resources). Would...

asked Feb 29 '12 at 14:05
Blank
Dr. Xray
113 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.14K Views
Should I transfer the intellectual property of a product to get investors?

I've been working on a new software that could do a nice work on the current market, and I'm trying to get investors to be able to work full time on this project and deliver before the other...

asked Mar 1 '12 at 01:08
Blank
Cross
141 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.33K Views
What happens to equity as the company grows?

What happens when you start a company using Joel's Totally Fair Method to Divide Up The Ownership of Any Startup with two technical founders whose roles change over time? Imagine the case where...

asked Feb 12 '12 at 04:15
Blank
Gili
178 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.75K Views
20% equity for introduction to a major client

I have built a product in the past 4 years for traders that is being used by a few accounts. I haven't done any marketing at all so far, the few clients using it are a few beta testers that have...

asked Feb 15 '12 at 02:15
Blank
Joe
6 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.43K Views
Monetization of a big open-source software frameworks

Let's consider jQuery is an example project for my question. jQuery is the most renown java script open source software framework nowadays. It was created when working with JavaScript was a real...

asked Feb 2 '12 at 21:44
Blank
Maxim V. Pavlov
217 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.06K Views
Should I file patent under my startup's name or my own name

I am a founder of a startup company. I need to apply one or more patents for the software that I am developing and about to release. Now I wonder whether I should file it under my name or file...

asked Feb 3 '12 at 08:54
Blank
Tom
197 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.12K Views
Measuring customer satisfaction in ecommerce business

One of the toughest questions that ecommerce businesses face concerns what is at the heart of a business –customer satisfaction. At first glance, anyone doing ecommerce business or having an...

asked Feb 8 '12 at 22:03
Blank
Akshy
6 points

6 Votes
4 Answers
2.6K Views
How to deal with users expecting a free edition of a software product (when not available)?

I'm working to launch my product in the near future and some guys are asking if there will be a "free" version. I've read some opinions that discourage the freemium model because canibalizes sales...

asked Jan 25 '12 at 14:00
Blank
Nestor Sanchez A
690 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
2.41K Views
How do I gather people to beta test my productivity tool?

Possible Duplicate: Beta Testers: What is the best way to find good beta testers? I'm designing and developing a little project overview application. I'd like some people to test it, but so far...

asked Jan 27 '12 at 02:31
Blank
Kslstn
1 point

3 Votes
6 Answers
2.53K Views
Should I go to the basics of software development/programming before starting up?

I have an idea for a software product. But I'm not technically strong in the theory of Algorithms, Databases and stuff. i.e. I can manage to write code that works, but I don't know if it would...

asked Jan 30 '12 at 00:39
Blank
User14058
30 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
2.75K Views
Create identical product and sell for half price?

I would like to compete in the software market and I thought that if I just present a product that provides the same functionality and is as good as its competitors and sell if for half the price...

asked Feb 1 '12 at 16:08
Blank
Cj7
124 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.17K Views
A source code license that contributors can agree on

This question is related to a previous one I've asked, but this aspect felt broad enough to deserve its own space. I have a web site where others contribute code and I am in need of an open source...

asked Jan 18 '12 at 19:30
Blank
Leo
120 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
2.26K Views
Transfer of intellectual property due to use of a business equipment (Australian Law)

Hi my name is Aden and this is my first post. I am in a somewhat unusual intellectual property issue and, though I have done a lot of searching, cannot find a direct answer to one of my...

asked Jan 20 '12 at 21:12
Blank
Adenjones
6 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.08K Views
Online Meeting Software for a Startup

There are 5 other members in the startup and they work in different locations. We are looking for online meeting software suitable for a small distributed workforce. It has to support at least...

asked Jan 21 '12 at 09:00
Blank
Ryan Rho
53 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.06K Views
One or two companies

I am facing a dilemma: Currently my mobile/web development start-up company is working on two non-profit projects, that may find an audience and therefore promote the company's name among mobile...

asked Jan 22 '12 at 05:04
Blank
Maxim V. Pavlov
217 points

8 Votes
3 Answers
3.37K Views
How do minors legally start a business?

I am a fifteen year old Web and iPhone developer. I'm looking to get apps published on the App Store under a business name. So, this leads me to a few questions. (I already have a bought...

asked Jan 22 '12 at 14:24
Blank
Crystal
51 points

4 Votes
7 Answers
4.23K Views
Why is customized software so expensive?

Actually, I know the answer but I don't know how to market my answer. Quick background We're an independent team of 3 developers who write software for a company with 2B in revenue. We've been...

asked Jan 24 '12 at 10:51
Blank
Adhg
250 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.51K Views
Mobile Web development environment; build or buy?

I already publish apps for the major platforms but our mobile development has lagged behind. I have my developers working on enhancements to our mobile site functionality, but I'm not sure whether...

asked Jan 25 '12 at 02:51
Blank
Nicko
840 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
3K Views
Lead developer with competitive salary. How much equity?

we have been in business for few years, we have a product (software) that is being refined every day, we have a small team we have paying customers. we are profitable. Our lead developer, which is...

asked Jan 9 '12 at 05:28
Blank
Maestro
1 point