Software Questions

Successful startups make money by offering people better technology than they have now.

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.78K Views
Could anyone recommend a popular and highly supported open source ERP system?

Our business is currently growing and we're beginning to feel the need for an ERP system. After looking around it seems there are an overwhelming amount of options and its tough to weed out the...

asked Nov 5 '11 at 01:53
Blank
Jklina
103 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
3.12K Views
Selling products online in the US from India

My Business is to have an to sell products online (online store). My business name has just been approved and I have also purchased the company desired domain. I am in the process of taking my...

asked Oct 18 '11 at 20:40
Blank
Kobi Cob
16 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
2.62K Views
Service to handle online sales of software

I am selling a little niche app on the app store. http:www.finaltouchapp.com For several reasons I also want to sell it directly from the web page. Are there any out of the box solutions that you...

asked Oct 20 '11 at 06:33
Blank
Thom Pete
1,296 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.69K Views
Changing Licensing model for a Software Framework to more permissive

I'm author of the "Agile Toolkit " Framework. Currently it's available under dual license Affero GPL - any use, personal or commercial Permissive license for $130/domain Permissive license for...

asked Oct 24 '11 at 06:15
Blank
Romaninsh
253 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.5K Views
Where to incorporate software startup?

The scenario: we are a startup software company that will be selling our applications through Apple's network (iTunes and Mac App Store). One co-founder is located in Toronto, Ontario. The other...

asked Oct 7 '11 at 08:24
Blank
Chris
11 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.27K Views
Smaller Project for Free Open Source as Leverage

Is it smart to release a small project as free and open-source to display my abilities as a programmer. I don't mean that in a "Hey, look at me, I'm awesome!" way. I mean it in a "This is the...

asked Oct 10 '11 at 06:02
Blank
Jberger
118 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.92K Views
Considering time to market, what is best for software product documentation: videos or manuals?

I'm in the process of publishing my product which is ready for beta testing. It has some level of complexity, therefore guidance is required. But I don't want to spend (yet) a couple of months...

asked Oct 10 '11 at 14:48
Blank
Nestor Sanchez A
690 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.36K Views
Negotiating a licensing deal for my iOS app

I've created a fairly successful iOS app that sells for $9.99 in the App store. It brings in about 75k per year and has been featured twice by Apple since launch. In the past few months, three...

asked Oct 11 '11 at 16:29
Blank
John
16 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.7K Views
What is the state of (desktop) micro ISVs in the U.S. now?

I'm interested in understanding the state of what I'll call "desktop micro ISVs" in the U.S. in 2011. By this I mean one-person computer software companies, creating desktop computer software, and...

asked Oct 13 '11 at 12:48
Blank
Chelonian
146 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.98K Views
Stick with one technology or go for several technologies?

When starting a small software business what would be ideal and why? I mean in the context of technologies 1- Stick with only one technology ( ex: only Java ) 2- Go for several technologies (...

asked Oct 13 '11 at 13:40
Blank
D Shan
68 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.18K Views
Desktop Software - Is there room to charge a higher price for a version that is portable?

I'm in the process of upgrading a 5 year old desktop application, and I'm looking at different ways to generate revenue from existing customers as well as new customers. A new feature that will be...

asked Sep 29 '11 at 02:46
Blank
Carlton D
38 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.12K Views
List of Online Shop Software closely tied to Paypal

i want to gather a list of online shop software that is closely tied to paypal. I've seen a piece of software that provides you with a cool interface where you can add your products and then...

asked Oct 2 '11 at 02:20
Blank
Herr K
292 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.6K Views
For market segmentation pricing... what is better for a software product: by features or by capacity?

what do you think is a better style for market segmentation pricing of a software product?... Option A: By features (Spreadsheet software example) - Edition Lite: $100 (features: macros and...

asked Oct 3 '11 at 17:48
Blank
Nestor Sanchez A
690 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.72K Views
Membership software

I am looking to create a business who's customers buy units of our product. It might even evolve to a membership situation where they are buying units on a scheduled basis each month. I want these...

asked Oct 4 '11 at 03:31
Blank
Blind Rooster
6 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.85K Views
Would it be better to market software as "ProductX 1.0" or as "ProductX 2011"?

I know that many people avoid buying a "ProductX 1.0" product, thinking of it as buggy and wait for polished future versions. Instead, what about calling it "ProductX 2011" (using the year instead...

asked Sep 23 '11 at 16:31
Blank
Nestor Sanchez A
690 points

-2 Votes
1 Answers
1.8K Views
How to Calculate a Quotation and Make a Proposal for Mobile Software

I have received an RFP from a small company to build an Android app. They have asked for a time/cost estimation together with a time chart for the given product specification (which is 25 pages +...

asked Sep 23 '11 at 22:46
Blank
Brown And Friendly
43 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
3.25K Views
How to sell software through third-party distributors online

I'd like to sell a software program (that my startup developed) through third-party online sellers. Any tips about how to approach the other sellers and structure the transaction? Is the best way...

asked Sep 25 '11 at 00:29
Blank
User6492
1,747 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
5.41K Views
Finding a client for software development outsourcing project

I have led an established IT-company in Ukraine for several years now. The company's business is in the different fields, including an outsourced software development. Currently I realize that I am...

asked Sep 26 '11 at 02:43
Blank
Maxim V. Pavlov
217 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.85K Views
How to outsource a software development process?

We are having a good idea for a software product. Since its complexity surpasses the capacities for a one man army or perhaps of a small software team, it will be necessary to outsource software...

asked Sep 26 '11 at 08:07
Blank
Jpcf
111 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.66K Views
Should I charge more or less for monthly-subscription payment (vs the single one price)?

I'm building a software product that I will charge for X amount per license. Also, I want to give customers the chance to pay a monthly-subscription. Note: In both cases they will have access to...

asked Sep 14 '11 at 04:57
Blank
Nestor Sanchez A
690 points