Investors Questions

8 Votes
2 Answers
3.89K Views
How can a past employee protect themselves against share dilution?

What is share dilution? How can I, as a past employee of a company where I exercised my share options, know if my shares are subject to dilution? How can I protect myself in future from share...

asked Apr 23 '11 at 01:24
Blank
Nissan Dookeran
177 points

6 Votes
2 Answers
2.52K Views
What questions should a company expect from investors after a pitch competition?

The Northwest Entrepreneur Network's First Look Forum finale is a pitch competition followed by networking. During the competition, companies give a 5-minute presentation covering the basics:...

asked Apr 24 '11 at 02:33
Blank
Jon Pincus
52 points

6 Votes
4 Answers
3.44K Views
25% for angel investor for 20k$

These days I am in process of raising 20k$ for my project (a facebook application), that requires at least 30k$ (10k of which I am able to come up with myself). When negotiating with an angel...

asked Apr 24 '11 at 17:27
Blank
User9950
31 points

8 Votes
3 Answers
5.86K Views
Building Pitch Deck - Financial Projections and Metrics

I'm trying to understand how much info about projections I need to put on the pitch deck. I'm assuming investors don't want all the detail... just the high level numbers (revenue, profit, growth)....

asked Apr 6 '11 at 11:23
Blank
Nick
1,171 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.51K Views
Odds of Finding Sponsor/Investor for New Website

I recently launched a website for developers (blackbeltcoder.com ). It's a free site that will employ an advertising business model. I'm very pleased with the rate of growth in the just over three...

asked Mar 24 '11 at 11:56
Blank
Jonathan Wood
120 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.02K Views
How investors decide, jockey or horse?

For your experience do investors bet on the jockey (founder-s) more than on the horse (idea), when it comes to startups? Also what is general considered attractive investment opportunity when it...

asked Mar 17 '11 at 11:00
Blank
Mat Banik
325 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.46K Views
Who uses "Self-Directed" Retirement Accounts to fund start-ups?

In the United States a retirement account like a 401K or an IRA can be incorporated as a "self-directed" account. A self-direct account provides you check-book control over your retirement account....

asked Mar 22 '11 at 13:30
Blank
Joseph Barisonzi
12,141 points

7 Votes
4 Answers
2.74K Views
Starting a company with a very similar competitor already in place

I have a tech startup I'm looking to do in the mobile applications space. I thought my idea was very unique and my business partner and I spent about a week coming up with planning, name, concept,...

asked Mar 23 '11 at 09:14
Blank
Nick
1,171 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.63K Views
Getting an idea off the ground, and protecting it at the same time

This is my first question on here, so please excuse me if I haven't got used to any cultural norms this stack site has. I have an idea, a great idea. An idea that I truly believe, with maybe a...

asked Mar 11 '11 at 21:17
Blank
Mild Fuzz
121 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
4.02K Views
Does all money invested by VC/Angels go to the company's use or to founder's pocket?

Let's say when a one-founder company owns 100% share. He sells 20% to a VC for $1m. Does this $1m go to the company for its expansion, or founder's pocket, or just a percentage of this money goes...

asked Mar 12 '11 at 15:26
Blank
Victor
593 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.14K Views
What is the most important way in which an investor can add value to your startup?

How would you force-rank (1 being highest to 8 being lowest), in terms of value to your startup, the following 8 services provided by an investor: Warm introductions to potential customers Warm...

asked Feb 24 '11 at 21:58
Blank
Zippy
871 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
4.04K Views
Are loans from Individuals common for startups? Is it a good way to grow?

I am the owner of a website that distributes digital content (photo/ footage/ music) for the film, interactive and media industries. We launched four years ago and are among the market leaders in...

asked Feb 25 '11 at 15:34
Blank
User8084
14 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.52K Views
Concrete examples of _why_ Silicon Valley is best for a startup?

I read here, and in articles elsewhere, about how important it is for a startup to be located in Silicon Valley. But they're all very vague, mentioning "the energy" or "the talent" or...

asked Feb 26 '11 at 20:04
Blank
Sean
134 points

6 Votes
4 Answers
2.32K Views
How to get introductions to investors?

All over the internet, the consensus seems to be that when you are looking for funding it is important to approach angels or VCs through an introduction from someone they know, rather than cold....

asked Feb 10 '11 at 09:40
Blank
Susan Jones
4,128 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.97K Views
I want to start an investment club

Ok gang, your input will be greatly appreciated here. I have convinced 4 of my friends and relatives to join me in founding an investment club ( a la private equity or VC) the idea is very simple:...

asked Feb 13 '11 at 21:14
Blank
User7566
21 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.14K Views
What counts as the "really secret stuff" which shouldn't be shared with potential investors?

After reading significant opinions on NDAs and how they might apply (see this article for example), I'm wondering, what counts as the "really secret stuff"? What's reasonable to keep a secret from...

asked Feb 19 '11 at 06:02
Blank
Blueberryfields
426 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.57K Views
What should I ask a startup's investors as a potential employee?

So, I was reading Guy Kawasaki's questions to ask a startup. One of them is to ask if you can speak with one of the investors on the Board of Directors. A startup that offered me a job asked me if...

asked Jan 26 '11 at 17:41
Blank
Jason
139 points

6 Votes
7 Answers
3.36K Views
How complete should my business plan be before I approach investors?

I know there are a number of business plan questions already, but my question applies to a specific aspect of the process. As my partners and I are researching and developing our plan, I've been...

asked Jan 14 '11 at 10:14
Blank
Matt
180 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.64K Views
Where do I find VCs?

I am making a new site, and I need some investors for it. The work is quite done, but I am unable to find people who would like to invest in the site. How and where can I find...

asked Jan 7 '11 at 07:26
Blank
Amit
113 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
2.65K Views
A con-artist or an investor

I have two potential investors: 1) My uncle - a trusted and wealthy family member and 2) "M.S." an unknown person that approached me after having heard my pitch and was "instantly enamored with my...

asked Dec 16 '10 at 14:47
Blank
John Berryman
388 points