Management Questions

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.04K Views
Code Review & System (Re)Architecture

I've recently been brought on with a small startup to serve as their technical advisor to a group of developers offshore. The product is an ASP .NET WebForms application. One of my first tasks was...

asked Jun 29 '11 at 01:24
Blank
Yuck
257 points

2 Votes
9 Answers
2.93K Views
How to Guide the Amount that Employees Work?

I run a well-funded startup. We're fortunate to have built a kick-ass team with a great product and good early traction. But I worry that our team's work ethic is sliding into stasis. Most of my...

asked Jun 3 '11 at 14:13
Blank
Randy B
14 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.48K Views
Will employer invest in my idea?

Let me describe a situation I happened to be in by now several times. I work in the field of detector/electronics/imaging systems development. I often get some new technical ideas and solutions,...

asked May 23 '11 at 02:26
Blank
Nick
6 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.34K Views
New Project Management startup business

What's the best way to market startup project management/facilities consulting company for homeowners, churches and businesses?

asked May 17 '11 at 23:49
Blank
Mc Cants
16 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
2.54K Views
Running a dating site - Use volunteers for administration - how to keep them motivated?

I'm running a dating site and I have 3 volunteers working on the administration (approving photos, profiles, removing stalkers, etc). The problem I'm having is that they are, as volunteers, very...

asked Apr 26 '11 at 20:54
Blank
Sherif Buzz
462 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.73K Views
Hiring and Skills Testing

Does anyone know of a comparable service to test a users skills to what they provide on elance? I like the ability to test various skills but I'm not sure if it preferable to have them set up an...

asked Apr 26 '11 at 23:53
Blank
Scott
468 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.71K Views
How to go ROWE (result only work environment)?

Even though we are a startup and heavily leaning on result-only work environment model, I noticed it's really hard to do this correctly, we still do have core hours and so many similar stuff and so...

asked May 1 '11 at 16:29
Blank
The Dictator
2,305 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.39K Views
Identifying failing and bad start-up companies (for sofware developers)

I recently caught up with a former colleague, a mid-level software developer. For the last year, he has been at a failing (badly), self-funded, single-owner software startup. According to him, the...

asked Apr 11 '11 at 00:49
Blank
Mqv
52 points

6 Votes
3 Answers
2.04K Views
How do I calculate how much my hour is worth?

I run a software development company (mostly potential so far, not amazing amounts of income). I am often in doubt of how much I should spend in order to save one of my own working hours. I know...

asked Apr 1 '11 at 19:25
Blank
David
1,567 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.69K Views
What employee turnover rate is too low for a high-tech company?

There is a lot of focus on the cost of employee turnover in companies. I am curious to know whether there are any studies on failure-rate of high-tech companies increasing if the turnover rate is...

asked Mar 28 '11 at 22:22
Blank
David
1,567 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.35K Views
In-house vs. 3rd Party PPC Management

I own a successful website selling a software product, but we do absolutely no in-house marketing at all. 75% of our sales come from affiliates promoting us. So, we'd like to become more involved...

asked Mar 17 '11 at 17:59
Blank
John
23 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
2.55K Views
Using a Staffing Agency - Is it a Bad Idea?

If you've exhausted your personal network (and friends' networks), and now need to hire people who have skills that you don't have, would you try working with a staffing agency? I've heard a lot...

asked Mar 19 '11 at 08:35
Blank
John
23 points

8 Votes
7 Answers
2.69K Views
Creating camaraderie among people who never see each other

I have a team of people scattered across time zones and the world. Most of these people have never been face-to-face with even one of their colleagues. Most have never heard anyone else's voice. We...

asked Feb 27 '11 at 08:08
Blank
Kenneth Vogt
2,917 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.97K Views
I want to start an investment club

Ok gang, your input will be greatly appreciated here. I have convinced 4 of my friends and relatives to join me in founding an investment club ( a la private equity or VC) the idea is very simple:...

asked Feb 13 '11 at 21:14
Blank
User7566
21 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.52K Views
Could the following be a good way to manage a large business?

As a consultant for large corporations my startup is considering recommending the following: Imagine that you have a large business with several thousand employees. Usually such a business has...

asked Jan 4 '11 at 21:14
Blank
David
1,567 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.43K Views
Any examples of large companies measuring profits and cashflow instead of making traditional cost/revenue budgets?

The following is a copy and paste from this discussion with Pierre 303: Let us take an example where I believe that it is clear that there are no reasons for budget. Imagine a company, which has...

asked Jan 6 '11 at 19:30
Blank
David
1,567 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
1.94K Views
Won't an operational manual incur many competitors?

I read the book*The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It*. It is said that we should treat a business as a system, as a money-making machine. We should...

asked Jan 10 '11 at 18:40
Blank
Steven
1 point

5 Votes
4 Answers
2.02K Views
Any great book on how to talk to people, especially to a person who seems not to get along with you

I want to read some great books on how to talk to people, how to handle people's unfriendly comment non-defensively, how to turn a potential quarrel to a friendly and pleasant talk. I know there is...

asked Dec 22 '10 at 15:56
Blank
Steven
1 point

6 Votes
4 Answers
2.48K Views
Holiday gifts for employees

I am pretty bad with gifts and in the past years I was awarding monetary bonuses to folks who work with us. I am not particularly keen on the idea of bonuses mostly due to the fact that we can't...

asked Nov 26 '10 at 06:29
Blank
Alex
262 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.2K Views
How do you structure/run your company to ensure you maintain control over the finances?

I've repeatedly heard the advice (from successful business owners) to not give up direct control over the company finances. It seems that enough founders out there have been burned by seemingly...

asked Oct 24 '10 at 08:19
Blank
Chris Hagner
881 points