Management Questions

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.19K Views
Functional model of co-founders work

Here's the problem for software development startup. We're two. One can do a decent hard-skill programming. The other one don't know anything, except he has some capital ( approx. less than 10k,...

asked Dec 12 '12 at 19:13
Blank
Peter
6 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.78K Views
How do I pull this team together again?

I'll try to keep this as brief as I can. Recently I have taken up a position within a big agency where I am responsible for an 'innovation cell'. People can voluntarily join this cell and they get...

asked Nov 12 '12 at 21:46
Blank
Maikel
18 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
3.18K Views
Looking for advice on developing my skills as a CTO

I'm currently in the process of building a startup with two co-founders (both are business people). Since I've been a developer in a wide-range of technologies I'll handle the CTO role. This won't...

asked Nov 2 '12 at 00:49
Blank
Alex K.
18 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
3.24K Views
What business model "frameworks" are available to help lead/manage a business?

As the FAQ for this site notes: Topics include financing, hiring employees, legal, marketing, sales, compensation plans, banking, payroll, benefits, and more. There are a lot of different but...

asked Oct 11 '12 at 13:53
Blank
Randy Syring
116 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.97K Views
What are techniques to elicit requirements from customers who don't understand their needs?

Question: How do you prevent a situation where you have to produce work-product work first and get client feedback before getting on the right track to meet their needs? Are there techniques to...

asked Oct 18 '12 at 10:34
Blank
Daniel Skowro?Ski
18 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
3.36K Views
How to structure even number of board of directors?

We are in the process of setting up a board structure for our startup. Everybody on the board will have their own veto rights on important matters, such as capital injection, spending limits,...

asked Sep 12 '12 at 19:27
Blank
Jaxons
16 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.92K Views
How do startups select relevant performance indicators?

Performance Indicators in existing businesses that have a defined business model and market are much easier to identify performance indicators for. Within startup businesses, are there any...

asked Aug 8 '12 at 01:47
Blank
Blunders .
899 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.43K Views
Increasing the rate at which a startup gets things done

How can I improve the rate at which as a startup a group of 3 people get things done? We are a group of 3, and have a few web apps that run in a mostly automated fashion. But improving on these...

asked Jun 5 '12 at 19:05
Blank
Khuram Malik
104 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.84K Views
Managing multi-lingual website when you don't know the language

Internationalization and localization are some ways to test the water in various regions, to see which market you fit in best. I wonder if any of you has any experience in a multi-lingual web...

asked May 25 '12 at 14:33
Blank
Victor
593 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.4K Views
The startup I work for is slashing my last pay periods paycheck without notice

This question is not directly related to a creating or running a startup, but I guess this is one of the things that can happen at a startup and I'd love to hear responses from both sides of the...

asked May 8 '12 at 08:32
Blank
Peter
111 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.62K Views
Operational Improvements for Tech Company

I'm looking for the magic trifecta of good/quick/cheap, what are some options for improving operational capabilities around... Support - Clients email a support email, this opens a ticket,...

asked Apr 6 '12 at 03:30
Blank
Mr. Graves
3 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.62K Views
How do I motivate someone who values his time significantly more than money to come to work on time?

I'm looking for a strategy to negotiate punctuality with an employee who is quite skilled. However, I fear that docking his pay may not have an impact because he values his own time more highly...

asked Feb 20 '12 at 08:58
Blank
User2436
14 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
1.81K Views
What type of employee do I need?

My SaaS company consists of myself (founder and developer), another developer, and a support person. Our new app is starting to gain traction, and as a result, I'm on the phone with potential / new...

asked Feb 14 '12 at 13:17
Blank
Hodge
30 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.89K Views
Help with usurpers

I run a paranormal investigation team which was founded by me, the logo designed by me and the paperwork designed by me. Initial funding was from my credit cards and the group has been running just...

asked Feb 1 '12 at 14:40
Blank
Linkin
9 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
1.98K Views
E-Myth Revisited - how does it apply to an ISV startup?

A few people have recommended the "E-Myth Revisited" book to me (and its on Joel reading list IIRC) and it gets very consistently good...

asked Oct 22 '11 at 03:30
Blank
Ryan
1,365 points

10 Votes
15 Answers
5.76K Views
Employee abusing sick leave

We have a very important employee at our startup who has been consistently abusing sick days. Unfortunately being a small company we would have a very hard time replacing him at this point but his...

asked Oct 1 '11 at 02:18
Blank
Lloyd
53 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.1K Views
What are some best practices for managing user feedback?

After months and months and months of work, our team finally launched our first application. We have been very fortunate to receive a lot of feedback and one of my first "goals" post-launch is to...

asked Aug 11 '11 at 22:25
Blank
Travis Truett
127 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.22K Views
Mentor requesting for board of director role, should i offer director or advisor role to him?

We recently met a person through our contacts and he has shown interest in our startup & super liked the Idea. We had initially requested him to be our mentor, for which he agreed. In our next...

asked Jul 29 '11 at 04:21
Blank
Kumar K
11 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
4.29K Views
What is a good free Business management software?

I'm starting up a lawn mowing service, and I want to know if there is any free software, where I can track sales, customers, expenses ect. It doesn't need to be feature-crazy as my business will...

asked Jul 4 '11 at 07:05
Blank
Ratz
118 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.51K Views
What are good books on management and organization to excel as a startup COO?

Preferably specifically targeted for startups in Tech/IT. I seem to find a lot about large corporations, but very little good literature about scaling from a small/midsize into a large...

asked Jun 23 '11 at 23:05
Blank
John Sjölander
2,082 points