Contract Questions

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.44K Views
Foreclosure On Software

Back Story: About a year ago I was asked to join a startup company as technical lead and partner. I was to design build and implement the software for this startup I would receive 20% equity in...

asked Aug 3 '13 at 01:56
Blank
Ross Mann
546 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.97K Views
Any rules or guidelines for unsolicited contact with retail stores?

I have a small online retail store, making products for R/C hobbyists. The advantage of my product is that it is made in the USA out of quality aircraft aluminum, versus the competition, which is...

asked Aug 7 '13 at 03:33
Blank
Chris
116 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.51K Views
Is it wise to always use a contract when doing business with friends?

Is it wise to use a contract when doing business with friends? Even with close friends? I don't understand how to separate friendships and business. It feels cold and almost inhumane to completely...

asked Aug 12 '13 at 17:01
Blank
Jason
123 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.47K Views
What deal should I accept for a somewhat part time CTO position?

I am a developer with a few years of experience and someone asked me to work on his very early stage startup (2 people right now). The company is doing ok, not making a lot of money but it's...

asked Jul 18 '13 at 01:43
Blank
Mthrowaway
13 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.77K Views
Software Company Drops Our Company From Service

We have a contact with a software company that is becoming a hot issue -- it's renewal time. The contract allows the 3rd party to drop us at will after we've paid our licensing fees for 5 years...

asked Apr 27 '13 at 03:10
Blank
Snake Doc
179 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.65K Views
Notarizing signitures for the official business contract?

I was just wondering if it is common to ask your co-founders to get their signitures notroized? I trust these people as we are good friends so I don't want to offend them if I asked to get it...

asked Apr 10 '13 at 01:08
Blank
Geddon
20 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.14K Views
Explaining my software license to customers/users

My software comes with the standard Apache 2.0 License which covers our bases pretty well while providing flexibility for us and our customers to use/modify the software to their needs. I have...

asked Apr 18 '13 at 01:34
Blank
Snake Doc
179 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.28K Views
First Software Contract

I currently write a lot of proprietary code that's buried away in some corporation and will never see the light of day (or another coder's eyes for that matter). But this will be my first endeavor...

asked Apr 23 '13 at 09:35
Blank
Snake Doc
179 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
11.8K Views
Verbal Partnership Agreement Binding?

I have a provisional patent for a product that I have been developing. I had a meeting last weekend with two individuals and we have verbally agreed to form a partnership. The partner who will be...

asked Mar 18 '13 at 08:19
Blank
Bill
6 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.35K Views
Does the company own all my ideas?

A company has the following contract. http://www.uploadimage.in/di/93QO/one.png http://www.uploadimage.in/di/N8UR/two.png Does this mean if one is working on something in their free time while...

asked Feb 20 '13 at 19:36
Blank
Julius
1 point

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.91K Views
Contract employee and IP in a not so related business

If I create an application for a client and I am employed as a contactor to the client by a contracting firm in a different capacity, who owns the copyright?

asked Feb 21 '13 at 02:32
Blank
Victor Clough
6 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.28K Views
Question regarding contracts for unpaid work

we're starting a website that caters to a certain demography - and need some illustrations done. We have a few folks interested in contributing the illustrations for free - but we want to be safe...

asked Feb 22 '13 at 05:18
Blank
Ram
21 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.9K Views
Protecting oneself from a Technology Assignment Agreement

I am an independent developer (non-employee) who is coding a product for a startup. I have other sub-contracting agreements with other clients. The 'Technology Assignment Agreement' that the...

asked Feb 14 '13 at 01:13
Blank
User24004
8 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.48K Views
Is consulting work subject to my day-job's intellectual-property clause?

Disclaimer: I'm not seeking legal advice here, I will naturally seek actual legal advice before I make any decisions. I'd just like to know the lay of the land, if anyone can help. I'm in the...

asked Jan 17 '13 at 11:47
Blank
Bluepnume
121 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.03K Views
Non disclosure agreement for concierge early adopters?

I want to be extra careful and publish my first MVP to a concierge early adopter. I would like to know if it is common to ask her to sign a non disclosure agreement.

asked Jan 19 '13 at 04:26
Blank
South
176 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.8K Views
Workers of a subsidary purely work on products of the parent company

If the parent company wholly owns the subsidiary, could the employees of the subsidiary work on products of the parent company? Are special contracts needed? Thanks

asked Jan 28 '13 at 14:56
Blank
Kate
99 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.45K Views
Technical Co-Founder Contract

There are a couple startups I'm thinking about joining. They are in very early stages (seed round or incubation). I am interested in the position of technical co-founder. They've all asked that we...

asked Dec 4 '12 at 09:57
Blank
Scott Coates
111 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.24K Views
If you are a creative studio, who owns employees ideas that they come up with whilst in your employ?

We are a creative studio who depend on new ideas and new IP to survive. Many of our staff (naturally) are quite creative as well, and as such don't want their best ideas taken by the studio - where...

asked Dec 7 '12 at 11:34
Blank
Brook
21 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.92K Views
Best way to propose web designers to work in your website with income proportional to the success of the project

We are going to create a biotech spin-off from our University, now we need a website, with professional design and flyers and the like. Right now we are negotiating some contracts but still do not...

asked Dec 12 '12 at 06:31
Blank
Flow
114 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
5.39K Views
What is the law covering the intellectual property rights of software developed during internship/employment without signed contract/agreement?

I am a software engineer who "invented", and developed alone an integrated ERP software solution over the past 2 years. I got the idea and coded much of the software as intern at small wholesale...

asked Oct 20 '12 at 06:31
Blank
P T
11 points