Sales Questions

Discuss startup sales strategies and what it takes to sell the product that you’ve designed and developed.

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.31K Views
How to transform a free trial user to a paying one?

We are a B2B web company, which offers a tool for online sellers ( amazon, ebay ). Since we got more and more free trial user, our ratio from trial to paying ( which was before near 80% ) got...

asked Dec 6 '12 at 07:43
Blank
Michael Hirn
21 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
1.87K Views
Breaking the Chicken Egg dependency (taxi's vs travelers)

I have read through the Q&Z for chicken egg issue, on this site. And have come up with a solution. I hope to receive some business advice on my solution. A Taxi Booking, webportal/mobile app...

asked Dec 10 '12 at 14:51
Blank
Siddharth
137 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.91K Views
Reward Points Calculation Dilemma

I run a new small e-commerce business and I'm considering to reward my customers with reward points for every dollar spent in our store. I was thinking along the lines of 10 reward points for...

asked Nov 23 '12 at 16:49
Blank
Bernie
23 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.3K Views
Telephone calls to leads outside of the US?

I recently began calling up people who fill out the lead capture form on my website (name, email, phone). I'm based in the US, and calling US numbers is no problem. But my product is available...

asked Nov 28 '12 at 04:59
Blank
Bc Web
101 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.43K Views
Dealing with Free and Lite Version of Competitors

We are new to the software field and have been launched ~4 months = 8 sales so far.The conversion rate is 0.5 %.Product is priced around $25-$30 We are in a market with lot of competition,in fact...

asked Nov 28 '12 at 22:17
Blank
James
11 points

5 Votes
6 Answers
4.7K Views
How to compensate sales rep for (bootstrapped) SaaS startup?

My SaaS startup has gained some early traction (a slowly growing number of paying customers built up over our first few months after launch). It's now time to "step on the gas" and grow the...

asked Nov 30 '12 at 04:23
Blank
Bc Web
101 points

10 Votes
4 Answers
2.83K Views
Is it worth using box shots for online product sales?

I am selling professional software B2B online to engineers. Price tag around $1k. Many online software vendors include an image of their product's packaging, a so-called "box shot". Of course,...

asked Nov 6 '12 at 23:59
Blank
Paperjam
394 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
17.6K Views
Where are C-level titles for marketing and sales?

I very often see these C-level titles: CEO, COO, CTO, CFO. But what about marketing and sales? Are there any C-level titles for those roles? I searched on Wikipedia and I found: CBDO (Chief...

asked Nov 16 '12 at 04:31
Blank
Dan
49 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.96K Views
Determine offer for SaaS company?

I've read various forms of the following question, but haven't found an answer that fits the following, so I'm hoping someone can help out. I'm interested in potentially acquiring a currently...

asked Nov 18 '12 at 03:10
Blank
User464180
159 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.9K Views
Price quote inquiry - best way to answer and find more?

I just received an inquiry about a price quote for a large amount of Users for our Online Suggestion Box tool Vetter, from a local government employee. He simply asked for the quote, no other...

asked Oct 22 '12 at 20:26
Blank
Dmurtagh
157 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
1.92K Views
Why is it necessary for online marketing to be mobile-friendly?

Can online marketing still survive even if it isn't mobile-friendly? What advantages can it give to online marketing?

asked Oct 26 '12 at 17:04
Blank
Lorie Lewis
11 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.15K Views
What's the best way to get our product into stores?

A friend and I created a product, found a manufacturer for it, and are selling it online, but we need to get it into stores. We don't know anything about marketing, we are bootstrapping the...

asked Oct 30 '12 at 01:44
Blank
User21383
6 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.03K Views
Have any advice on getting good at sales?

We're ready to start selling our (free) software product to local businesses. Don't worry, we make money another way :) So, by selling, I mean of course, pitching them and getting them to use the...

asked Oct 8 '12 at 02:23
Blank
User18631
16 points

7 Votes
2 Answers
2.34K Views
How to keep track of the all the people you're in contact with

I realized that I was losing track of people I have been in contact with once I got a call from a prospective vendor and they referred to a quote that I couldn't identify. I would like to track:...

asked Sep 22 '12 at 09:30
Blank
Adam
36 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
2.49K Views
Is starting a business without somebody knowing "business" a good idea?

I am a developer since quite some time. I am having some good ideas and plan to start a business in the startup world. I already have a friend who will join me as a co-founder. Now the problem is:...

asked Sep 13 '12 at 19:46
Blank
Torsten
176 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.97K Views
Finding a commision-paid sales-person/business partner in the UK

I have a new services business which will be marketing a product to professional services firms in the UK. Unfortunately, for reasons which are unavoidable and not material to this question, I have...

asked Aug 16 '12 at 03:26
Blank
Marcin
526 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.97K Views
What to offer sales biz dev first hire / partner for product that has early sales traction?

Background: I am a developer with a SaaS product that is bringing in revenue, but not enough to pay a sales person's salary (yet). The company shouldn't need outside funding. The product is...

asked Aug 27 '12 at 07:11
Blank
Nw Architect
136 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.14K Views
Product Positioning-Large or Small customer focus

We are a software startup and trying to solve a unique problem, which is applicable for both small and large organizations. Is there any recommendation in positioning the product for smaller or...

asked Aug 10 '12 at 04:27
Blank
User8226
197 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
15.9K Views
Who handles sales tax on apps (android on google play, ios on appstore, android on amazon app store)?

Ok, I am a one person developer and I have an android app on the google app store I also have it published on the amazon app store. I plan on eventually publishing a version on the apple store as...

asked Aug 11 '12 at 05:11
Blank
S.A.Jay
20 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.12K Views
minimum needed to hire a sales guy for commission

I'm an engineer/CEO/Founder of an unfunded startup (well, I guess you could say I'm the one providing the funding). So far I've been the only person who has done any work with this company. I don't...

asked Aug 11 '12 at 11:30
Blank
Nbv4
123 points