Sales Questions

Discuss startup sales strategies and what it takes to sell the product that you’ve designed and developed.

4 Votes
3 Answers
Two new "business minded" devs - Do we need a Hustler?

I am working on a hardware-software combo B2B startup in Seattle. We've only been around for 2 weeks on a part-time basis. We are two somewhat experienced software/web devs. Together we secured a...

asked Dec 4 '13 at 14:45
Blank
User2990504
21 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
Point of Sale Solutions for a tech savy company

I am in the process of opening a retail establishment. I am personally developing a phone app and website which will interface with a mysql database to display certain relevant information about...

asked Dec 7 '13 at 18:14
Blank
Plattnum
26 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
How do you recover from a disastrous introduction?

Through some networking, I met someone, John, who said he would introduce me to a friend of his for a prospective sale. I knew the person he was talking about and I really wanted to meet her and...

asked Nov 21 '13 at 01:48
Blank
Ray023
198 points

-1 Votes
2 Answers
Should a partner who is handling sales receive commisions plus half of the profits?

I am starting a two person partnership. We are offering a service at 500.00 a month per client, the operating costs are 150 per month per client. We will be giving salesmen 20% (100) leaving approx...

asked Oct 24 '13 at 14:19
Blank
Michael Nesmith
1 point

1 Votes
1 Answers
How can I attract investors for insurance software? Is there an avenue for this type of technology software?

I have designed an insurance software. QFD - Smart Design is an Insurance Accelerator which is designed to assist insurance companies with sales and the up-selling of their product lines. I hide...

asked Nov 5 '13 at 05:37
Blank
Michel Sabourin
6 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
4.23K Views
Fair commission rates for freelance sales rep and a creative services business

I have been pouring over books and the internet for an answer to this question. I understand that this type of question "depends" on many things but if people have had similar experience if would...

asked Sep 16 '13 at 01:29
Blank
Matt R
1 point

0 Votes
3 Answers
Method for initial marketing

We have a startup, which does accounting for tiny companies. We have successfully tested the service with success for a few customers. These are happy with the service and keep renewing. Now I am...

asked Aug 26 '13 at 16:16
Blank
David
1,567 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
Value based pricing

"Pricing is actually pretty simple... customers will not pay literally a penny more than the true value of the product" With that in mind, how do you determine the real differentiating value of a...

asked Aug 22 '13 at 01:09
Blank
Bhttoan
725 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
Best way to refer to software app customization (in a Quote)

I have to provide a quote for a 12 month subscription to my SaaS app to a large company. The company wants Single Sign On integration. I will have an item in the quote for this work, but I'm...

asked Aug 22 '13 at 18:38
Blank
Dmurtagh
157 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
Not getting a response on quotes

I have recently begun employment in a B2B sales environment. I have only previously worked in a retail environment and have only dealt with immediate decisions on purchasing products. I am doing...

asked Aug 22 '13 at 23:32
Blank
Callie
16 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
How should we market our software for Yoga Teachers?

We recently launched a software for Yoga Teachers to help them with their business around 3 weeks ago. The software has a free version that can be used for 30 days and has a pay per month version...

asked Jul 31 '13 at 15:01
Blank
John E
11 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
What are the slow months for B2B, and why

We sell shrinkwrap software to other companies, and we've been in business for just less than a year. Our sales are about 45-50% to the US, 20% UK, 10% to Australia and the rest to other countries....

asked Aug 1 '13 at 20:14
Blank
Paul Stovell
204 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
Do you think its important to have an office space for startups?

What about a flexible, short term - office space like Regus? What are your thoughts about it?

asked Jul 17 '13 at 01:33
Blank
Shweta
6 points

-3 Votes
1 Answers
negative response from prospect

i just wanted your advice on the following correspondence from a prospect (see below- i have removed a few references). I want to look at this as an opportunity and try to turn the negative...

asked Jun 26 '13 at 21:17
Blank
Herman Salling
1 point

2 Votes
1 Answers
Do you pay sales tax on open invoices?

Sorry if this has already been answered, but I could not find it anywhere. My company is based in Austin, TX, US, and is an LLC. Do I have to pay sales tax on open invoices? I.e., Invoices for...

asked Jul 3 '13 at 12:39
Blank
Kevin Soviero
180 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
What is the/a correct way to note tax exemption on an invoice?

My customers are rarely tax exempt, but recently I took on a job for an organization that is. They said they could provide their tax exempt number for the invoice processing. Is this necessary? Is...

asked Jun 1 '13 at 00:13
Blank
Pete
17 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
Solving the chicken and egg problem: how to attract paying customers

I am having a bit of a catch-22 with my business model. I am trying to link employers to prospective employees based on personality/work ethic profiles (think eHarmony for jobs). However, I need a...

asked May 1 '13 at 14:24
Blank
User26065
8 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
Choosing the right people for marketing the product

We have developed a new product that will hit the travel business soon at Pune India. One part needs to be installed on the cab drivers phone, and the other part needs to be installed on...

asked May 13 '13 at 20:43
Blank
Siddharth
137 points

6 Votes
7 Answers
1.12K Views
startup: work on something i personally like or work on something that would sell?

I am going to start working on a project, but divided between two project ideas. The first one is interesting to me personally, and I have been toying with it for some time as an evening hobby,...

asked Apr 5 '13 at 13:16
Blank
Mitten
31 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
1.28K Views
Limiting liability of individual/small startup when selling software

If I make and sell some software (online if that matters), and say that software ends up causing some unexpected behavior (let's go extreme and say it deletes all data on the hard drive!). Am I...

asked Mar 22 '13 at 07:09
Blank
Snake Doc
179 points