Sales Questions

Discuss startup sales strategies and what it takes to sell the product that you’ve designed and developed.

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.52K Views
Do you think its important to have an office space for startups?

What about a flexible, short term - office space like Regus? What are your thoughts about it?

asked Jul 17 '13 at 01:33
Blank
Shweta
6 points

-3 Votes
1 Answers
1.91K Views
negative response from prospect

i just wanted your advice on the following correspondence from a prospect (see below- i have removed a few references). I want to look at this as an opportunity and try to turn the negative...

asked Jun 26 '13 at 21:17
Blank
Herman Salling
1 point

2 Votes
1 Answers
4.03K Views
Do you pay sales tax on open invoices?

Sorry if this has already been answered, but I could not find it anywhere. My company is based in Austin, TX, US, and is an LLC. Do I have to pay sales tax on open invoices? I.e., Invoices for...

asked Jul 3 '13 at 12:39
Blank
Kevin Soviero
180 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.22K Views
Solving the chicken and egg problem: how to attract paying customers

I am having a bit of a catch-22 with my business model. I am trying to link employers to prospective employees based on personality/work ethic profiles (think eHarmony for jobs). However, I need a...

asked May 1 '13 at 14:24
Blank
User26065
8 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.76K Views
Choosing the right people for marketing the product

We have developed a new product that will hit the travel business soon at Pune India. One part needs to be installed on the cab drivers phone, and the other part needs to be installed on...

asked May 13 '13 at 20:43
Blank
Siddharth
137 points

6 Votes
7 Answers
4.19K Views
startup: work on something i personally like or work on something that would sell?

I am going to start working on a project, but divided between two project ideas. The first one is interesting to me personally, and I have been toying with it for some time as an evening hobby,...

asked Apr 5 '13 at 13:16
Blank
Mitten
31 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
3.4K Views
Limiting liability of individual/small startup when selling software

If I make and sell some software (online if that matters), and say that software ends up causing some unexpected behavior (let's go extreme and say it deletes all data on the hard drive!). Am I...

asked Mar 22 '13 at 07:09
Blank
Snake Doc
179 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.51K Views
Even after 1 year, the ecommerce site isn't showing good results

Last year around august, I joined an eCommerce start-up(handicraft items) as the technical head. Though, the company was online for more than 4 months prior to me. The website look and feel was...

asked Mar 31 '13 at 21:43
Blank
Pankaj Upadhyay
156 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.9K Views
what is a good call to action on postcard marketing

Our company has a platform and managed service for SME that allows them to communicate with customers on (social media, SMS email) create an online presence (with reviews, deal and events pages)...

asked Feb 13 '13 at 10:11
Blank
Adonis
56 points

-1 Votes
1 Answers
1.79K Views
Do we really have to drink with clients/prospects in order to get orders?

I met a classmate 2 days ago. He is 28 year old and is a deputy general manager and is managing over 200 people. He often drinks with clients and gets drunk. His body is obviously wider than...

asked Feb 15 '13 at 14:31
Blank
Steven
1 point

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.04K Views
Who should process payments?

Suppose: Company A owns product P P is managed by company B The sales contract is between A and customers A has a contract with B such that B receives all income generated by P Could B directly...

asked Feb 6 '13 at 03:29
Blank
Kate
99 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
6.97K Views
What is an acceptable commission structure for a marketing rep?

I am a marketing professional with over 10 years of successful experience. My specialty area is strategic thinking/planning. Recently a local company in its first year of operation asked if I...

asked Jan 18 '13 at 12:56
Blank
Carol Hughes
6 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.19K Views
When is a business cofounder needed

I am technical founder right now of my own software startup. Right now, I'm developing the software and am seeking a business cofounder. I lack domain expertise in the various parts of the...

asked Jan 22 '13 at 06:30
Blank
Code Talk
253 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.03K Views
Should I have a sales contract with my first client?

Next week I will meet with my first client to discuss a subscription with my SaaS product. I gave him the first month to test it out. During that time, he’s given me a wealth of helpful feedback...

asked Jan 25 '13 at 02:31
Blank
Ray023
198 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.99K Views
Should I follow up with prospect in this case?

I'm technical guy trying to do sales as well.. Some prospects communicate well, I know what to expect. Some acting strange. Usually when they send request via web I reply with small intro asking...

asked Jan 26 '13 at 03:30
Blank
Katit
276 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.53K Views
best practices of managing follow up calls in cold calling?

Best practices of managing follow up calls in cold calling? Actually, I am searching for the best protocols in managing follow up calls.

asked Dec 31 '12 at 05:58
Blank
Anilkumble789
9 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.1K Views
Making a sale that's over the customers budget

I have been working on an offer for a software project, requested by a customer. I'm pretty sure that the price of the offer will be over their budget. The price itself is nothing special, it is...

asked Dec 18 '12 at 06:23
Blank
Bertvan
108 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.02K Views
How do we additional marketing channels such as affiliate partnerships, Fab.com, specialty retail/wholesale for a physical product?

We are college students bootstrapping out tech startup the AirBNB cereal box way and have launched a physical product to help with this effort; we sell exclusively through our own website. This...

asked Dec 26 '12 at 22:38
Blank
Word Bi Lly
11 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.56K Views
Setting Sales Goals

Currently, I have a small software consultancy practice. In fact, its just me. I'm not much of a sales individual, but I've been good enough at it to move along. I believe that in order to grow my...

asked Dec 27 '12 at 04:28
Blank
Startup Leader
140 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.03K Views
Is making a product free a valid sales strategy?

We have a product that is comparable in features and user experience to several competitors, however we are unable to gain any real market share, because the target market is relatively hard to...

asked Dec 28 '12 at 05:51
Blank
Jeff S
374 points