Launch Questions

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.73K Views
How impactful can a city be to a startup?

On a website like groupon were it is centrilized (location based) how impactful and important is the first location the website is launched? Meaning if an app (again like groupon) launches in...

asked Aug 31 '12 at 03:30
Blank
James
6 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.96K Views
Determining "Critical Mass" for a Web Application

I'm in the process of building a web application that will need a healthy user base from day one to be successful (similar to a stackexchange site). I'm already taking signups but I'm curious how...

asked Aug 17 '12 at 00:31
Blank
Scunliffe
310 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.48K Views
How to go from private into public beta?

I'm currently having an app in private beta and I'm now ready to launch it. Should I just make it available on my website or should I seek out for a blog that announces the launch to get some...

asked Jul 2 '12 at 20:36
Blank
Tom
6 points

7 Votes
3 Answers
7.55K Views
Startups with ASP.Net MVC 3 and MS SQL

We were thinking of starting a Web Startup using the technologies C#,Asp.Net MVC 3 and Sqlserver. We have heard a lot of talk about "cost" when it comes to using Microsoft technologies for a...

asked Jun 3 '12 at 11:05
Blank
User636525
138 points

9 Votes
3 Answers
3.13K Views
When to give up on a product?

I'm getting ahead of myself here because my product hasn't launched yet, but I thought about this and would appreciate the thoughts of this community: Imagine this: You're launching a great app...

asked May 30 '12 at 14:56
Blank
Torben Gundtofte Bruun
350 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2K Views
Business Plan Timeline with regards to Start Date / Launch Date

I'm pretty sure I know whats the answer, would like another opinion. I am using generic time values in my business plan (M1, Y1). I want to know the proper way of displaying my sales forecast....

asked May 30 '12 at 23:55
Blank
Chieftec
10 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.29K Views
How to market a website where developers can buy and sell source code?

I've developed iPhone and Mac applications in the past, with reasonable success. Back then, Apple would take care of the distribution, and sales were pretty constant. I just launched a website...

asked Apr 9 '12 at 09:38
Blank
Boopyman
113 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.52K Views
It's ok to launch a software product when Beta testing is not fully finished?

I'm having trouble finishing the Beta testing period of my software product. In particular it hangs/crashes in some laptops with low to moderate memory and speed capabilities. This problem is hard...

asked Apr 15 '12 at 16:04
Blank
Nestor Sanchez A
690 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.16K Views
How does a a online community gain initial users prior to launch?

Web startups with the theme of a "community" as in let's say a Match.com, a roommate finding service or even this site for that matter....my question is how do they gain their initial users? I am...

asked Mar 12 '12 at 13:32
Blank
M Ant29 M Ant29
6 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.51K Views
How to create a BUZZ few weeks before launching your website?

We had planned not to market our website that goes live in 8 weeks, but now going for the opposite. So we are building a website where users sign up and interact on the basis of XYZ (apologies for...

asked Feb 16 '12 at 03:50
Blank
Raj
24 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.4K Views
Which strategy will you use for launching a dating community website?

Imagine a dating community like meetic, where you can register for free, but you must pay every 6 months for using all the functionalities. Which will be your strategy for your launch, taking into...

asked Feb 19 '12 at 23:16
Blank
Jmp
4 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.41K Views
Launching as free beta, then eventually making some features premium-only

For the launch, we're thinking of including all the eventual premium features at no cost, referring to the launch as a public beta. Eventually, once traffic picks up, we would put up a notice...

asked Jan 24 '12 at 06:00
Blank
Mirov
384 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
2.48K Views
How to market a software during minimum viable product stage?

I'm about to launch my product. I'm currently preparing the website, documentation, e-commerce integration and so on. It lacks features that will be added in the next few months that will allow it...

asked Jan 10 '12 at 08:28
Blank
Nestor Sanchez A
690 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.56K Views
Revenue / user growth projection for UGC-social-startup business plan

I have to write a business plan and I'm stuck on the revenue and business projection part. We're building a platform that is all about user-generated-content concerning a certain topic. It also...

asked Dec 15 '11 at 11:38
Blank
Beorex
6 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.01K Views
How to properly estimate the cost and necessary income for a new SAAS project?

I will launch a new SAAS (software as service) invoicing app for the iPad. This is in late-stage development. My startup is small, and I want a clear picture on the cost of the project, and...

asked Dec 16 '11 at 08:35
Blank
Mamcx
113 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.42K Views
Is it normal to lose optimism when getting feedback on a project?

I've been working on a web app for 4 months, and did some usability testing with about 10 people today, with mixed results. Some people said they hated my design, others had no comment about it,...

asked Dec 17 '11 at 14:36
Blank
Mark Hill
33 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.04K Views
How should I promote an SDK / Service?

I developed a new service for iPhone developers which allows them to ask quick questions from their users and get rapid feedback. The product is now in beta (which means it's already finished and...

asked Nov 26 '11 at 22:41
Blank
Roman
253 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
3.11K Views
Idea: Go free first, then start charging customers

My primary aim is to get as much publicity as I can get. Would it be a good strategy to go all free when you first launch your product and then turn it into a paid service couple of months...

asked Nov 16 '11 at 21:44
Blank
Celalo
118 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.91K Views
Are There Any Internet-based Regular Startup Hackathons?

Like most of you, I have some good start-up ideas I feel are both good and easily realizable. Of course, I have plenty of 'real' work to do for more mature projects, so I have difficulty convincing...

asked Nov 3 '11 at 16:59
Blank
Hss
157 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.26K Views
How do you get your Startup featured on national television news?

I am wondering if anyone has any advice on how to get your startup featured on TV? I have had some success getting written about on some blogs, but nothing that non startup / tech people would see.

asked Oct 22 '11 at 01:08
Blank
B Sherratt
11 points