Launch Questions

5 Votes
6 Answers
3.07K Views
Should we tag our new website as 'beta'?

What does tagging your new website as 'beta' say to your potential customers. We intend a 'soft' launch to our website and are not planning any significant marketing at this period. We intend to...

asked Sep 24 '11 at 04:27
Blank
Dan Mac Bean
151 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.36K Views
What are the pros and cons of incubating a new startup within a successful existing company?

I have a well thought out idea for a new startup. The startup will be unrelated to my current small company that is doing quite well. My basic options are to incubate the new startup within my...

asked Sep 28 '11 at 02:21
Blank
Keith De Long
5,091 points

5 Votes
6 Answers
3.88K Views
How can I get initial users for my website?

We have a website that's just about to be released. We did a limited beta release (friends, family) and some light advertising with Google Adwords (very small budget- about $200). The ad campaign...

asked Sep 13 '11 at 08:07
Blank
Cuga
161 points

-1 Votes
2 Answers
2.24K Views
landing page for sign up process for end user x 2 types (s)

The simplest / minimalist sign up processes is usually the best for the end user. Can you provide some examples. I need to create a sign up process for 2 types of end users, similar to a job site....

asked Aug 18 '11 at 03:32
Blank
Webster
1 point

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.4K Views
I have a static prototype, can I get angel investment?

I have a static prototype for a very promising company. The prototype is not dynamic, just made to show how the site works. I need an investment to actually develop the functionality and get some...

asked Aug 7 '11 at 03:29
Blank
Dawson Whitfield
6 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.05K Views
What is the best strategy/events to launch a startup?

We are having a startup in social and location based networking space. We are currently in private beta. What will be the best strategy or events to launch the product? Thanks!

asked Aug 1 '11 at 04:47
Blank
Neology
113 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.26K Views
Is this e-commerce launch promotion a winner or loser?

I'm thinking of offering 3 x $50 gift certificates for the first order received from each of the 52 states. The product's range in price from $69.00 to $139.00. Winner or loser?

asked Jul 17 '11 at 18:09
Blank
Bold Rusty
11 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.01K Views
Switch straight to paid saas?

I have a successful tool that has received lots of buzz for the past week or two. The tool is currently free and I hope to adopt a freemium model. I have the following options and I can't decide...

asked Jul 5 '11 at 23:12
Blank
Lee
8 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.22K Views
What QA & security steps to take before launching web app?

I've seen plenty of questions dealing with beta testing, marketing, market research and so on. My question is which practical quality assurance and security steps should a web app or service make...

asked Jun 19 '11 at 22:53
Blank
Joe
121 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.29K Views
How should one prepare for a screening interview with startup conference officials?

If an individual is contacted by startup conference (eg TechCrunch Disrupt/DEMO/Launch) officials considering about their application to launch at the event, how should the person prepare for the...

asked Jun 8 '11 at 03:05
Blank
Geekette
6 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.37K Views
Increasing users for dating website

I've been experimenting with certain ways to improve the number of users for my social dating website, and since the daily user count is so low, even the approach for any experiment is almost...

asked Jun 11 '11 at 18:11
Blank
Herr K
292 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.42K Views
Which software trial strategy is best?

Days based (7/14/30 days trial) or usage based (15/30 logins/transactions etc. trial). Has somebody compiled any empirical data to see which strategy is better? Appreciate your thoughts on this.

asked Jun 1 '11 at 16:16
Blank
Ali
179 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
2.08K Views
Starting a new webcomic in a few days

I'm putting together a webcomic and am considering taking down the construction page in the next couple of days and going live (the site is finished). I just have a few questions regarding a...

asked May 11 '11 at 16:32
Blank
Harold
26 points

6 Votes
2 Answers
1.93K Views
What makes customers jump ship?

There is Company X online that provides a service for its visitors - and though they currently have the monopoly and have for the past 10 years, the quality of their service is not so great and...

asked May 18 '11 at 01:59
Blank
Sam
509 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
2.23K Views
Best time of year to launch?

Is there a better time during the year to launch? Business is in the Food and drink / Restaurant industry, and will be an online service free for customers.

asked May 18 '11 at 03:25
Blank
Sam
509 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.25K Views
How to Start an Advertising Agency

I want to start a Advertising agency. I already have many of the requirements like a video and image editor (my friend), highly skilled software and electronic engineers (my brother), and an...

asked May 2 '11 at 04:13
Blank
Satya Narayana Padhy
6 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
3.78K Views
Was Facebook's early strategy of exclusivity the reason for their growth?

Facebook started at Harvard and then spread to a very few other colleges early on. Eventually anyone with a university address could get an account, but they always kept an air of...

asked Mar 7 '11 at 10:11
Blank
Matt
141 points

6 Votes
2 Answers
1.88K Views
How to offer BETA Codes?

I have launched a web app a couple of days ago in closed BETA and I have been trying quite hard to contact relevant bloggers (about 12 of them now) to post/tweet about my startup and to offer BETA...

asked Feb 26 '11 at 01:31
Blank
Carl
33 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.1K Views
Pilot customer incentives for intial launch of start-up

As I work on finishing up the final details for my start-up. I wanted to know if anyone here setup pilot programs for their first few customers at discounted rates or for free for a limited period...

asked Jan 31 '11 at 17:35
Blank
John
161 points

1 Votes
7 Answers
2.97K Views
budget: spend on domain or on adwords?

Assume that we've got a 10.000 (usd or euros) budget. Which of the following 3 options is better for launching? 1) Spend all of it on a great domain (e.g mymobile.com) 2) Spend 20 on a mediocre...

asked Feb 1 '11 at 04:54
Blank
Cherouvim
219 points