Recruiting Questions

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.23K Views
How to earn VC/Angel Investor financial and technical talent support?

More specifically, has any of you managed to convince both financial support, and getting additional technical talent to support the expansion of a startup concept/prototype? If so, where and how...

asked Apr 18 '11 at 08:50
Blank
Stanigator
133 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.65K Views
How to find people interested to participate in a brand-new open-source project?

I recently set up an open-source infrastructure for Obix. Obix is a new, object-oriented programming language designed to help people writing more reliable code in less time. More information can...

asked Apr 20 '11 at 17:05
Blank
Christian Neumanns
11 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
2.31K Views
Where did your star developer come from?

If your startup has a star developer : what was he/she doing before joining your company? How did you find and get into contact with him/her?

asked Feb 28 '11 at 09:07
Blank
Zippy
871 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.86K Views
So I've got this great idea for the iPad... but what next?

Maybe someone has experience with this? I've been mulling this idea for an app that would really show off what's possible with a tablet like the iPad. It doesn't exist yet, and I want it to. I'm...

asked Dec 5 '10 at 08:17
Blank
Matt H.
130 points

6 Votes
4 Answers
2.76K Views
Building an "A-Team" -- How do I Build a Team I can trust from those I don't know?

[Multi-part question with similar introduction because I thought the questions would be more useful separately.] Hi all, I'm currently a one-man dev team with what I believe is a killer idea. I've...

asked Nov 30 '10 at 02:10
Blank
Goober
131 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.86K Views
Building an "A-Team" -- How to Retain Ownership of the Idea?

[Multi-part question with similar introduction because I thought the questions would be more useful separately.] Hi all, I'm currently a one-man dev team with what I believe is a killer idea. I've...

asked Nov 30 '10 at 03:17
Blank
Goober
131 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.48K Views
Sales through street promotion - how can we recruit many more people?

We developed very innovative new sunglass clipons, which are exactly tailored to each individual pair of eyeglasses. About 40% of all eyeglass-wearers want and buy them. The best distribution...

asked Jul 30 '10 at 01:51
Blank
Philobus
116 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
2.18K Views
Delegating software development work to freelancers

My partner and I are the only members of our startup consulting company. We are at the point where we fully realize the need to delegate work in order to grow. We want to practice our people and...

asked May 2 '10 at 12:33
Blank
Startup Struggler
77 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
7.1K Views
Any Recommended Job Posting Sites for Startup Leadership (CMOs, VPs, etc.)

We're doing some hiring at a very high level for a VP Marketing candidate and I'm aware of the general advice that it's best to network into folks for roles like these (we had lots of success doing...

asked Apr 7 '10 at 15:58
Blank
Randfish
1,001 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.61K Views
How do you tell if he/she is a great marketing candidate?

What are the methodologies you use to determine if a person would make a great marketer? For instance, I may be looking for someone who has great instinct about what the market wants and able to...

asked Feb 26 '10 at 13:58
Blank
G Rex
683 points

11 Votes
9 Answers
3.63K Views
How do you recruit enough 'top talent' for your company?

For many organizations that have achieved some level of success, effectively growing the staff, without compromising the overall quality of who you bring on board, is a critical challenge. What do...

asked Feb 16 '10 at 07:09
Blank
Chris Hagner
881 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
5.22K Views
Why do recruitment websites charge companies(recruiters)? Is it feasible if a recruitment website provides free service for both recruiters and job-seekers?

Is it feasible if a recruitment website provides free service for both recruiters and job-seekers?

asked Jan 16 '10 at 11:53
Blank
Steven
1 point

3 Votes
5 Answers
2.93K Views
Approaching A Professor For Help With Your Startup?

Has anyone ever approached a college professor to help give advice and provide introductions to people who might want to invest in your startup? I'm going to do this, but wanted to gain some...

asked Nov 23 '09 at 06:04
Blank
Drew Little
41 points

6 Votes
11 Answers
4.26K Views
Should I join a startup or take a regular dev job?

I am currently looking at job opportunities and the two most enticing are either a developer at a medium sized company or i have been offered a job at a new startup. The money at the development...

asked Nov 8 '09 at 20:13
Blank
Sev
31 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
8.64K Views
What Are Some Good Profit Sharing Packages and Bonus Structures?

I own a bootstrapped startup that now has a big enough customer base where I can actually hire a developer to help me push it to the next level. Since we don't have all the bells and whistles that...

asked Nov 12 '09 at 08:08
Blank
User1466
21 points

7 Votes
8 Answers
4.6K Views
Why would someone work in a startup?

I think the most essential question to ask before recruiting someone to work for your startup is to ask their main motivation to work in a startup. Those of you that have experiences with...

asked Nov 2 '09 at 10:30
Blank
Jpartogi
1,342 points

3 Votes
8 Answers
4.1K Views
Software start-ups: do you outsource your network admin?

For business, I tend to outsource a lot of things that I am more than capable of doing. Take, for example, office cleaning. Okay, I'm a slob, so in reality, it would never get done... but you get...

asked Oct 11 '09 at 01:52
Blank
Alex Papadimoulis
5,901 points

8 Votes
14 Answers
4.49K Views
How to hire the best developers?

Joel Spolsky is always writing about how companies should treat and offer the best to their developers in order to be able to get the best of them. As a startup, when the time comes and you do need...

asked Oct 10 '09 at 12:44
Blank
Ricardo
4,815 points

22 Votes
20 Answers
13K Views
How do I find a technical co-founder?

One of my friends is starting a company and he's looking for a technical co-founder to work with him to build a web app. Where should he look for technical co-founder? Some more details: He is a...

asked Oct 10 '09 at 09:09
Blank
Nivi
157 points