Technical Questions

6 Votes
2 Answers
2.27K Views
Your business website experiences a bad crash; what's your protocol for communicating with customers?

Having my business website crash (bad) recently was one of the toughest few days since becoming a Founder. My former hosting company experienced a major server issue. A planned re-boot caused a...

asked Nov 2 '11 at 03:56
Blank
Richard H.
175 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.63K Views
Is my role as non technical guy valuable enough in this case?

How do I approach this situation? I m a non-technical guy, but I want to set up a very basic search engine which would search for data from a MYSQL database of data collected by us.The data is...

asked Sep 26 '11 at 18:30
Blank
User13528
16 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.49K Views
Code Copyrighted

What's the deal if you are: The only technical person on your start up / and or the one doing programming. Haven't made a penny 'on-the-books' in terms of your startup Is the code you write on...

asked Jul 21 '11 at 03:59
Blank
User9968
229 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
4.72K Views
How much equity should I get as tech-cofounder?

Possible Duplicate: Forming a new software startup, how do I allocate ownership fairly? I would be the sole on-site tech person, along with being 'tech-co-founder' There are two...

asked Jul 7 '11 at 03:26
Blank
User9968
229 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
2.22K Views
How to market "techie" solution to big companies?

I developed a neat but admittedly techy application/engine that could be used in conjunction with other services to enhance user satisfaction. I wrapped it up into a nice Web 2.0 app but as of now,...

asked May 25 '11 at 08:18
Blank
David Titarenco
405 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.3K Views
Best place to find partners?

I know this question has already been asked in many ways, but I'm looking for a more general answer. I'd like to know which is the best place to find technical people to work with. Has anybody out...

asked May 17 '11 at 19:49
Blank
Calixte
137 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
1.97K Views
Good Resources in LA/NY for Connecting Business/Technical Folks on Startup Opportunities?

I am an MBA that has worked at several startups/technology companies. What are the best resources in LA/NY to connect with like-minded technical people and explore opportunities? Thanks!

asked Apr 18 '11 at 06:48
Blank
Am7
16 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.23K Views
How to earn VC/Angel Investor financial and technical talent support?

More specifically, has any of you managed to convince both financial support, and getting additional technical talent to support the expansion of a startup concept/prototype? If so, where and how...

asked Apr 18 '11 at 08:50
Blank
Stanigator
133 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
3.31K Views
How do I fire a technical co-founder?

I came up with an idea for a business web application and teamed up with a coder to build it. He has a lot of strong points and built a good product (it's 90% done) but to cut a long story short,...

asked Apr 23 '11 at 14:24
Blank
Highlander
26 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.53K Views
Fair stake for a technical strategist?

First time posting to this Q&A so please be kind! I and a partner are looking to build a web community. However, my partner and I are both business folks. We understand to build a successful...

asked Feb 11 '11 at 01:55
Blank
Li Zhou
323 points

4 Votes
6 Answers
2.77K Views
Software Idea but Non IT background

I am an entreprenuer, who has always been keen on IT, but having no background of programming. I have several ideas which i would like to implement one at a time. These involve combination of...

asked Jan 29 '11 at 15:37
Blank
Kartik
21 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.13K Views
Go from contractor for a company to a CIO/co-founder?

A person I have been working for as a contractor has at one point entitled me his "CIO". He has been wanting to be his full-time developer for sometime, and I believe would be willing to make me a...

asked Oct 5 '10 at 16:13
Blank
Nowarninglabel
125 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
2.6K Views
What to do next for my online startup?

Ok so I've left my job, I've got a business plan, I have a blue ocean idea, I've spoken to a few industry people about the idea and they think its a good idea. I have a designed and paid a...

asked Aug 8 '10 at 23:57
Blank
Jdeleon
70 points

3 Votes
6 Answers
2.95K Views
Should a non-techie professional start a website without a techie partner?

I am a non-IT/techie professional and have created a website through a web designing firm. Although, I have learned about various aspects of designing and running a website through reading, I am no...

asked Mar 19 '10 at 01:18
Blank
Joydeep
185 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.49K Views
Write custom code or adapt an application?

I'm working on a venture that combines straight forward forum functionality with Facebook like real time community discussions. The Facebook-a-like part uses news items to drive entries and...

asked Dec 10 '09 at 07:04
Blank
Puk
81 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.39K Views
Any examples of web business's spawned from a business person's idea and put into action by a technical cofounder?

While many people talk about the new paradigm of outsourcing technical skills to India or China, there is much derision among technical blogs and people about business people getting into the job...

asked Dec 12 '09 at 09:28
Blank
Seth
21 points

13 Votes
6 Answers
3.98K Views
How does a technical person evaluate an MBA-type business partner?

I've read a lot of questions asking about how an MBA can find a technical person to implement their idea, but I haven't seen the other direction. As a technical person, I know that I can get my...

asked Oct 27 '09 at 05:37
Blank
Paul Mc Millan
601 points

1 Votes
6 Answers
2.95K Views
What type of tech blog should I write

I have been programming for 14 years, in several languages, and I think if I am going to be serious about doing consulting work until I get my application done, then I should start a tech blog, to...

asked Oct 31 '09 at 11:56
Blank
James Black
2,642 points