Website Questions

Setting up a website is a key step in starting a new business and in today's world, an effective web presence is a vital marketing tool.

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.12K Views
Suggestions on sites for critiquing websites

I am looking for sites which enable users to give feedback or critiques on any sites for free. Or for site owners to solicit feedback on their sites for site design and usability? Should not be fee...

asked Nov 29 '10 at 07:27
Blank
Tony Henrich
283 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
4.05K Views
Initial startup sequence for an international dating website

I'm developing a niche dating website that is in its pre-alpha stage. As for the initial launch, I have a couple of theories and questions. For the very first time, I thought it might be good...

asked Nov 7 '10 at 01:40
Blank
Herr K
292 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.15K Views
What should I be responsible for as the first developer in a large scale web project?

I am the first developer in a large scale web project, in the real estate sector. I am not an expert in any field, I know the basic of all, programming, databases, something about design and a...

asked Nov 10 '10 at 23:12
Blank
Alexandru Trandafir Catalin
157 points

2 Votes
5 Answers
2.99K Views
One stop shop for start-up tools and resources?

I'm looking for a website that has all the tools and resources one might need to start a company. Anything from business plan templates to legal docs to reviews on potential vendors (e.g. who...

asked Nov 11 '10 at 17:48
Blank
User5336
13 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.97K Views
A gaming network forum and site

I am currently in the process of creating a gaming network, but there are 2 things I'm wondering about. If I were to run multiple games, is it generally a good idea to give every game it's own...

asked Nov 11 '10 at 21:00
Blank
Stark
28 points

7 Votes
5 Answers
6.38K Views
How does a tech/IT Startup get mention / kudos in Top rated Tech Blogs / Press

As a startup, how do we get mention / kudos in the top rated Tech focused Blogs akin those ones listed here http://topblogs.onstartups.com/ Do we have to know someone who knows someone who knows...

asked Nov 14 '10 at 05:43
Blank
Donald
136 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.97K Views
What is a server license?

I'm planning on using MojoPortal CMS to make websites for clients. They offer this addon called Form Wizard Pro with three different license. I want a license so I can use in multiple deployment....

asked Nov 14 '10 at 14:09
Blank
Shawn Mclean
220 points

4 Votes
8 Answers
4.46K Views
What is the best site builder product for a small business?

We need to have a website that takes very little effort to create, looks good and is dead simple to edit. We also need it to be supported by a hosting company so we do not have to do any extra work...

asked Nov 15 '10 at 13:53
Blank
Clj
123 points

12 Votes
10 Answers
4.27K Views
Where can I get feedback or have my site reviewed?

There are many questions asked on this site about getting a website reviewed or feedback on a site that has just been released. Given that this type of question is so common and it is a need of...

asked Nov 16 '10 at 07:56
Blank
Xiaohouzi79
1,257 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.19K Views
Creating a QA site - Becoming a lot like SE

I wanted to create a new website that was a Question and Answer site in a specific niche (one that SE is not in right now). My problem is that the more I design and create the website, the closer...

asked Oct 26 '10 at 03:24
Blank
Martin
1,340 points

1 Votes
6 Answers
2.43K Views
New Web App / Website - Authentication

(Not sure if this was a programming or startup question, but I will ask you guys) Authentication on a new website: Should I go with OpenId, or use my own Forms-based authentication. My website is...

asked Oct 26 '10 at 22:55
Blank
Martin
1,340 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
3.57K Views
Freelance Web Designer - Should I do LLC or just file SE 1040

Just keeping it simple. I am a freelance web designer, I have an accountant, and I take payments payable to my name. Is there any reason I should form an LLC? Am I safe to continue doing what I'm...

asked Oct 27 '10 at 11:30
Blank
Justin
76 points

11 Votes
9 Answers
4.23K Views
User Registration forms - user name or email address?

I would like as simple as possible a registration and login process. Should I use a username or an email address as the key identifier during the login? (Presumably the user db might also a user...

asked Oct 28 '10 at 19:12
Blank
J Delage
277 points

18 Votes
11 Answers
7.64K Views
Should I continue with my idea (another startup is already doing it)?

Recently I had this idea about a website and I have a passion for it. After doing a lot of research, I know exactly what I need (design, developers, management, etc.) and I have had a few...

asked Nov 1 '10 at 12:45
Blank
Cluelessbear
96 points

4 Votes
6 Answers
3.56K Views
How do I attract users to an empty website so that they can add content?

I have started a website that I believe will be very useful, however it requires the public to report their own experiences. The problem is that when people visit the site they see that it doesn't...

asked Nov 5 '10 at 08:22
Blank
Scott Griffis
23 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.69K Views
Where to draw the line between non-profit and profit project

I have this project, where I'm about to create a political debate website. The election time in my country has just passed so there are quite a few people with questions for the politicians, and it...

asked Nov 5 '10 at 22:19
Blank
Janis Peisenieks
181 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
1.96K Views
Domain name for application? domainnameapp.com or getdomainname.com

I have a website Smart Company Software. I have two desktop software applications in development and I want to have a website for each one. The Smart Company Software website will be for all of my...

asked Oct 9 '10 at 02:08
Blank
Smart Company Software
22 points

-1 Votes
4 Answers
2.48K Views
Alternatives to GoDaddy?

What do people think of GoDaddy? Are they a good default registrar for little guys? I'm just trying to register a few names for now. If not, who else would you recommend? Many thanks, JDelage

asked Oct 9 '10 at 04:47
Blank
J Delage
277 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.24K Views
Website security

Last Saturday my site received an unusually high volume of brute force attacks. Yep, those darn teens from Western Europe or smart scripts from academic towns in Siberia, trying tirelessly to break...

asked Oct 13 '10 at 00:32
Blank
Usabilitest
1,698 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.12K Views
Logo size on Website for Branding

I am currently designing the website for a new startup. I have 2 options (so far) for the size of the logo. Put it in the same spot as the "StackExchange" dropdown at the top of this page. It...

asked Oct 15 '10 at 07:11
Blank
Martin
1,340 points