Website Questions

Setting up a website is a key step in starting a new business and in today's world, an effective web presence is a vital marketing tool.

0 Votes
4 Answers
2.18K Views
Website/Business Verification Seals and Badges

I have recently put up a site for my small internet marketing consultancy and would like to add some badges that indicate its a trustworthy site. I know there is the Verisign seal of trust, and I...

asked Sep 24 '10 at 04:44
Blank
Jim Shook
417 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.08K Views
For a wiki-like startup: Large all encompassing site VS multiple focused subsites

EDIT: SHORT VERSION - From a user's point of view what's better: One big site (Wikipedia) or multiple smaller sites (Spanishpedia and Techpedia) LONG VERSION : I'm starting a site where people...

asked Sep 26 '10 at 09:19
Blank
Kyle
111 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.87K Views
"Like" clone idea

I am adding new section to my site where students or alumni of a particular film schools can be associated with their schools. Facebook did something similar in the early days and later they went...

asked Sep 28 '10 at 01:19
Blank
Usabilitest
1,698 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
2.11K Views
Most probable ".com" replacement for startups in the near future?

The most desirable generic top-level domain ".com" seems becoming less and less affordable for startups which cannot receive sufficient funding at early stages. The price of a decent ".com" name is...

asked Sep 30 '10 at 01:50
Blank
Rem
352 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
2.79K Views
Should I have my own content before opening content-repository website?

So I want to open my brand new dictionary site (for example, of course there is wiktionary), where words should be added by users. Should I fill my database a little before going public, even if it...

asked Oct 1 '10 at 17:52
Blank
Daniel Excinsky
148 points

0 Votes
5 Answers
4.73K Views
Forum/Support/Feedback infrastructure in ASP.NET & SQL Azure?

I'd like to put up a support forum/feedback/message-board feature on my site to support the upcoming preview of our application as well as perhaps host future discussions on related topics. I'm...

asked Oct 2 '10 at 15:17
Blank
Igorek
886 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.19K Views
How do you get a copyright on your web pages?

If I were to release a web app what is the procedure to procuring a copyright on it?

asked Oct 6 '10 at 05:34
Blank
Chromedude
202 points

5 Votes
5 Answers
2.55K Views
Picking a domain for new company

There are so many domain names taken, but the sites there are like haunted houses. Is there a way of repossessing them? Like offer to begin an auction? Best,

asked Oct 8 '10 at 03:29
Blank
Vass
128 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
2.29K Views
What type of work should I not do before being incorporated?

I'm working on an idea (consumer web) but am not yet incorporated. I am considering farming out some work to free lancers. Is there any issue in doing that before incorporation? What about my own...

asked Oct 9 '10 at 00:52
Blank
J Delage
277 points

4 Votes
10 Answers
3.67K Views
Domain name with "4" instead of "for"?

Is it better to get a domain name with "4" as a shortcut for "for", or the real thing? E.g., "body4life.com", or "bodyforlife.com"? Assuming both .com are available...

asked Oct 9 '10 at 01:14
Blank
J Delage
277 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.39K Views
Technical co-founder or pay someone to build

I have an idea for an off shoot of an already successful business that would allow me to scale it quickly and greater than I can now. However, the idea requires the building of a web...

asked Sep 1 '10 at 03:09
Blank
Jeff
154 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
5.29K Views
Is 1 to 3 % an acceptable conversion rate for a web service startup?

My friend and I are developing a web service startup at http://gnymb.us, and out of 70 unique visits to the site, we have had two signups so far. Is this good?

asked Sep 9 '10 at 23:35
Blank
Chad Johnson
113 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.75K Views
What are some common mistakes made when trying to implement SEO?

I'm no expert in this area, and I've heard that search engines can be very unforgiving when you try to change or restructure things in certain ways. What should I definitely NOT do? Are there...

asked Sep 12 '10 at 03:27
Blank
Javid Jamae
347 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.98K Views
How to motivate experts to contribute to a forum?

We are launching a real estate website with some forums too. We need experts (lawyers, architects, etc.) to contribute to our forums for some first line advice. How would you attract such experts...

asked Sep 13 '10 at 05:53
Blank
User2387
111 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.51K Views
Is it legal to re-use web design from a GNU public license project?

I found a web design layout that I like, and it is from a GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE open source project. Will I run into any legal issues here? I know I should talk to a lawyer, but just curious...

asked Sep 22 '10 at 03:51
Blank
Un Startup
162 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.13K Views
Where to find a partner for an e-learning startup

I am an owner of popular website, devoted to services for learning of English words. This market is a very competitive, but we have small growth. I want to establish a company in the United States,...

asked Sep 22 '10 at 09:53
Blank
Nulldevice
111 points

6 Votes
8 Answers
6.63K Views
CMS for online magazine startup?

I want to start an online magazine website and I'd like to know what platform to use. Something like Wordpress, Drupal, and other CMS systems, any recommendations?

asked Sep 22 '10 at 23:54
Blank
Alexandru Trandafir Catalin
157 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.05K Views
Where can I find site or wordpress themes based on call to action?

I would like to find themes based on the call to action I need - for example, I need a theme with an email signup as the main call to action - any one know of a themes website? Should I build one?...

asked Sep 23 '10 at 03:04
Blank
Bob Cavezza
191 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.76K Views
Do I need to collect Tax IDs from website users that I'm paying via paypal on an incentive basis?

Hi I have users that are submitting content that can be rated by the community. The top users, based on the popularity of their contributions, accumulate points in their account that (for now at...

asked Sep 24 '10 at 00:16
Blank
Marc
113 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
3.38K Views
Should I get a .co or .com?

I'm currently deciding if I should get a domain name of my 1st choice but with a .co (instead of a .com) or if I should get a less preferred domain name with a .com (because my 1st choice of .com...

asked Jul 29 '10 at 19:36
Blank
Elisha
64 points