Investors Questions

1 Votes
0 Answers
1.01K Views
Do you have to issue paper stock certificates to investors?

With digitally signed documents close becoming mainstream, do startups still have to send investors the physical paper stock certificates? Or is it safe to just skip that while raising a seed...

asked Apr 3 '14 at 10:59
Blank
John Lawrence
7 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
1.25K Views
How do I determine angel investor equity?

I have an opportunity to purchase a company. We're still working on the purchase price, but let's assume $100K for purposes of discussion. I do not have $100K. I would need to find an investor to...

asked Mar 31 '14 at 17:58
Blank
Carson McComas
1,023 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
How to say no an angel investor who isn't the right fit?

What is the proper way / etiquette of saying no to an angel investor who won't be a good fit for your startup? Ideally, in a way where I could still somehow get the person to refer our startup to...

asked Mar 30 '14 at 18:59
Blank
Jeffery Miles
7 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
When pitching to investors, how do you respond to "Doesn't xyz app do this as well?"

Regardless of traction, many angels and VCs still ask this question. What is a good way to respond to it?Let's assume you are pitching Viber and an investor says "Doesn't WhatsApp do this same...

asked Mar 30 '14 at 11:55
Blank
Goldie Hartman
52 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
Why are so many VCs so close together on Sand Hill Road?

All the top-tier VCs are located so close together on Sand Hill Road. Is there a reason for it?You would think that since they are competing with each other for startups, they wouldn't be located...

asked Mar 28 '14 at 23:57
Blank
Gonzalo Patterson
136 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
1.34K Views
Has AngelList killed early-stage VCs?

Is there a point to trying to outreach to early-stage VCs when AngelList is far more convenient for startups?

1 Votes
1 Answers
Will SEC every allow non-accredited investors to fund startups?

I'm a non-accredited investors and not able to do small angel rounds with other investors because I'm non-accredited. I understand the regulation is there primarily to protect investors with little...

asked Mar 27 '14 at 11:10
Blank
Jerome York
30 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
How are startups able to raise so much money these days without a revenue model?

There are so many startups that not only don't generate revenue, but also don't even have a revenue model in place. Yet they are able to raise tens of millions in Series A. Are we in another bubble?

asked Mar 27 '14 at 12:12
Blank
Mark Green
50 points

5 Votes
1 Answers
1.03K Views
Should I raise money from investors if my goal is not to get acquired?

My goal is to build a profitable company that generates revenue for years without selling out to a larger company.Since most investors are looking for an exit in 4-5 years after investment, should...

asked Mar 26 '14 at 14:26
Blank
Ronald Block
60 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
Phrases to avoid when pitching to investors?

What are some phrases startup founders love using that you shouldn't while pitching to investors?

asked Mar 8 '14 at 03:27
Blank
Earl Shellman
55 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
How much time and money do investors spend in finding startups to invest in?

Does anyone have any insight on how much money and time a VC firm spends on average in finding startups?Or do they just sit and wait until startups come to them (or until they get one referred from...

asked Mar 24 '14 at 14:27
Blank
Troy Robertson
10 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
What's the deal with being an accredited investor? Why does the SEC even have that designation?

I've read the arguments on the benefits for startups to pick accredited angel investors. But what's the deal about it from the SEC's standout? What did the SEC have to gain from even creating this...

asked Mar 20 '14 at 21:57
Blank
Julio Hearn
35 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.82K Views
Responding to investor's rejection emails?

How do you respond to rejection letters from investors? What some strategies to use it in your favor?Are there any stories of how successful startups used rejections from investors when they...

asked Mar 20 '14 at 12:55
Blank
Pablo Smeltzer
49 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
Would Facebook be where it's at today without being in Silicon Valley during the growth phase?

Would Mark Zuckerberg have been able to find the same type of talent (both in terms of quantity and intellectually) and raised money from VCs in another part of the country?Which city would you say...

asked Mar 19 '14 at 16:59
Blank
Jessie Cross
45 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
Remote co-founder in another country: would it be a problem for angel investors?

I am in the US and my co-founder is in Ukraine. Would that be an issue for angel investors if we try to raise money?Or should I mitigate that potential issue by showing only myself as the founder...

asked Mar 17 '14 at 23:30
Blank
Inez Melton
20 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
A big chunk of my revenue comes from one source. Is that a huge negative in raising money from angels?

I have a software product and one enterprise client accounts for over 70% of my revenues right now. Is that a huge negative for investors? How can I mitigate that risk?Our goal is to use the money...

asked Mar 17 '14 at 16:48
Blank
David Harman
20 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
How do angel investors verify traction numbers?

If you're raising money on AngelList, how does an investor verify your claims of traction (it could be paid customers for a saas company or just traffic).

asked Mar 16 '14 at 22:56
Blank
Harvey Nash
15 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.53K Views
Can you still invest in startups on AngelList if you're not an accredited investor?

My net worth doesn't reach the minimum needed to be considered an "accredited investor" by the IRS.Is there a way I can still invest in startups on AngelList?I'm not sure why they have this...

asked Mar 15 '14 at 20:15
Blank
Michael Espinoza
15 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.79K Views
What should be in a seed-round pitch deck for investors?

What data do angel investors want to see in a pitch deck? Better yet, are there any public successful pitch decks that people have used to raise over $500K from angels?

asked Mar 10 '14 at 13:36
Blank
Robert Collins
160 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
What can you learn from getting rejected by investors?

Most VCs will never tell you "no". Instead they will keep saying they'll get back to you. They do this so that they don't jeopardize investing in future rounds (in case they made a mistake the...

asked Mar 5 '14 at 23:24
Blank
Thea Cortez
10 points