Getting Started Questions

These are the basics you'll need if you're looking to be an entrepreneur and start marketing yourself.

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.06K Views
Should a great project to solve one problem become a start-up?

Some time back, I set out to solve a specific problem: How can I help people who haven't met yet collaborate to create great ideas ahead of weekend startup events?I couldn't find a site out there...

asked Oct 25 '12 at 03:15
Blank
Jeremy Parsons
5,197 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.51K Views
Sample partnership/cofounder contract clause for force-out payment schedule

I'm altering a contract between myself and another individual. The contract defines clauses for forcing another partner out but does not define how percentage of ownership shall be handled. I.e....

asked Oct 26 '12 at 13:26
Blank
Rks
108 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.26K Views
Is it okay to shop around for incubators

I'm meeting with a local incubator tomorrow and I would like to know if it's okay to tell them I'm going to "shop around". I want to talk to other incubators and see what they can bring to the...

asked Oct 30 '12 at 23:10
Blank
Dragonman
120 points

2 Votes
4 Answers
1.9K Views
How important is to have a focused startup?

I've been meeting with mentors and entrepreneurs to learn more about startups. I've been told that is better to focus in one feature and one sector in the market. I have a service that can help...

asked Oct 31 '12 at 16:26
Blank
Zapoo
303 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.87K Views
Minimum Legal Things to do before start pitching around

Imagine I am working on a start up that is at a functional prototype level and so far, I have not registered it anywhere and basically done no legal work whatsoever. Now, I need to be looking for...

asked Nov 5 '12 at 18:30
Blank
I Code
111 points

8 Votes
2 Answers
2.52K Views
When a huge company copies your startup

What do you do when a huge online company (as dominant as say Google, Apple, Microsoft etc in their respective niche) has a big feature that's been lacking in their very popular product, and your...

asked Nov 5 '12 at 23:57
Blank
Nyxynyx
193 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.4K Views
How to persuade the boss to give me 1 free day?

I am working in a small software company. Owner directly manages the business. I'd like to start my own project, part time. I have a family. It is difficult to find free time to work on my...

asked Oct 3 '12 at 06:44
Blank
Mel1
6 points

-1 Votes
1 Answers
1.67K Views
How do I source prizes and gifts for a competition site?

Every day I receive invitations to win holidays, gift vouchers, cash, cars etc. When you go to the site there are literally hundreds if these deals listed. I know some of these sites simply...

asked Oct 3 '12 at 13:16
Blank
Dean Nesmith
6 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.04K Views
What are main functions of a start up that need continous attention

So we are 2 co-founders having a full time job and from the last 14 months are working on a social network. I wanted to share the name of our start up here, but somehow I think that would be cheap...

asked Oct 5 '12 at 01:30
Blank
Rajiv Singh
14 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.46K Views
General Partnership? Limited Partnership? Or

I am in the early stages of bootstrapping a startup. The product is a cloud-based service for businesses within a very specific industry. I have worked as a UX & UI developer and design...

asked Oct 13 '12 at 19:54
Blank
Conrad
108 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.49K Views
Start up is getting offer to have website developed for "profit sharing"

I have an idea for a website that myself and a partner have started to get going. One of our first steps was speaking with a web developer. The site may run over our budget. The developer (who is a...

asked Sep 19 '12 at 10:28
Blank
Melissa
6 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.15K Views
How do I specifically start a business as a government defense supplier?

No matter what shape the economy is in, the government will always have at least a few if not many contracts with defense contractors. I would like to start a business as a supplier to these...

asked Sep 22 '12 at 04:17
Blank
Greg Mc Nulty
75 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.53K Views
Raise and use money on kickstarter or indiegogo

I'm interested in projects like Indiegogo and Kickstarter. Basically they are doing the same thing - helps to get money from the people who likes your idea. So when I'm raising money and asking...

asked Sep 24 '12 at 16:45
Blank
Ignas B.
103 points

-1 Votes
2 Answers
1.8K Views
How to split equity between founders

We have a very complex team and our actual roles and skills are known to each other only after we started working and deciding the equities which would be vested in few years. We started working...

asked Sep 28 '12 at 13:08
Blank
User1699696
8 points

5 Votes
6 Answers
2.78K Views
1-man show, coder/marketing/everything else... 10 months in the making, too long?

As a 1-man show I've been building a social startup for the last 10 months. A lot of the time on development has been spent learning a new programming language (Ruby on Rails) and also all the...

asked Sep 29 '12 at 22:54
Blank
Rubytastic
139 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.35K Views
Taxes with respect to content providers

I am developing a modest web site that shows content created by external providers. I use this content to promote my goods and sell them. Instead of paying a fix upfront price for the content (I...

asked Sep 5 '12 at 15:43
Blank
Serialfailer
8 points

5 Votes
6 Answers
3.29K Views
I have an idea but no free time - can I pay offshore developer?

I am a software developer. I have a good idea and I'd like to create a startup. I am planning to invite one or two of my colleagues as co-founders. Problems: 1) Free time I realised it is very...

asked Sep 6 '12 at 07:42
Blank
Mel
68 points

7 Votes
5 Answers
2.56K Views
Startup project - hide from employer or cooperate with him?

I am a software developer. I have a good idea and I'd like to create a startup. I am planning to invite one or two of my colleagues as co-founders. I am concerned about the relationships with my...

asked Sep 11 '12 at 07:32
Blank
Mel
68 points

-1 Votes
3 Answers
1.3K Views
Information Vs Skill

I am going to start a business of software development. But before that I am having some questions. There are two possibilities: 1- I gain experience developing softwares (especially programming...

asked Sep 12 '12 at 23:11
Blank
Gpuguy
102 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.19K Views
An 'any software you want' approach to marketing?

I want to start a software business. It's probably been said a million times before on this forum, and software start-up's being in such abundance is one of the reasons for this question. I don't...

asked Aug 16 '12 at 01:40
Blank
Dee Mac
123 points