Getting Started Questions

These are the basics you'll need if you're looking to be an entrepreneur and start marketing yourself.

0 Votes
3 Answers
1.95K Views
Is there a "magic number" of stores to have prior to launch?

I have started a service that allows liquor stores to show their products and pricing on my website, giving them full control of their profile, etc. The idea is that users will go on the site and...

asked Jul 11 '12 at 09:25
Blank
User6528
149 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.32K Views
Non-compete clause for a early employee

Is it common to ask early employee of a startup to sign a contract containing non-compete clauses? I am against our employee, but I have a little concern on our competitor as they have money to...

asked Jul 15 '12 at 01:28
Blank
Yoga
116 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.76K Views
Is lack of marketing from competitors a good reason to build a startup?

Background: I have a web app idea in mind that I have started developing for fun. As I started seeing potential for revenue, I realized that a lot of other competitors have already started this...

asked Jul 17 '12 at 03:46
Blank
Jason
11 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.86K Views
Starting a company in the US as a foreigner

I am a student from Germany, and I want to start a company in the US. I've given starting it here first and then eventually expanding to the US some serious consideration, however, the chances of...

asked Jul 22 '12 at 08:43
Blank
Alex
51 points

-2 Votes
2 Answers
1.19K Views
What choice of business entity should I choose for my business?

I am starting a non profit organization of which I will be the sole owner. The business is about selling books to particular groups of people at a cheaper price. I live in US, Massachusetts. What...

asked Jun 21 '12 at 12:21
Blank
Chimpanzee
102 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.45K Views
I want to start an ecommerce apparel line, how should I structure my company, and what are the legal requirements to sell online?

I already have an LLC, however, It's not the brand name I want to use for my business. Should I do a DBA under that LLC? I would like to apply for a trademark on the brand, so would this structure...

asked Jul 3 '12 at 20:43
Blank
User18631
16 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
7.1K Views
What sort of business type is a video game company? Manufacturing?

I am a college student and I am supposed to be creating a business plan for a school project. I decided to create a faux video game company in order to satisfy the criteria of the project, but I've...

asked Jun 8 '12 at 08:22
Blank
Nicholas Coovert
3 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
1.86K Views
Unorthodox Startup Formation

Two other founders and I are planning to start an S-class tech firm. All of us have a government background and are new to the process: one founder is the notional CFO and has thus far handled the...

asked Jun 12 '12 at 04:40
Blank
Fox
126 points

9 Votes
5 Answers
2.85K Views
Can someone under 18 start a business in the US?

I'm 15, and I want to repair computers, which I've recently found out is considered a business even if I just do it from home? Can someone start a business when they're under 18?

asked Jun 14 '12 at 08:03
Blank
Orcris
148 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.89K Views
How much equity to offer to investor

I am fully aware that this is asked frequently, but it will differ a lot depending on the type of business: I am just about to start looking for an investor for a startup in the UK, i dont want to...

asked Jun 15 '12 at 21:02
Blank
Darkcat Studios
190 points

8 Votes
5 Answers
2.95K Views
Do I really need an accountant?

As a new startup, do I really need a part-time accountant or can software like QuickBooks do everything for me? Perhaps a bookkeeper to input data into the software is all I need?

asked May 24 '12 at 07:30
Blank
Anon E
41 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.27K Views
RBI regulations on Paypal

I have read in a couple of places on how RBI has come down severely on PayPal accounts, blocking them etc... Is it a big issue and is there a risk in opening PayPal accounts for a B2B marketplace...

asked May 24 '12 at 18:28
Blank
Disha
16 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.37K Views
Becomming an app developer

I'm currently in the process of creating a game for the WP7 marketplace. I havin't been throught the process of publishing it to the market place yet but was wondering if there are any pre...

asked May 24 '12 at 21:20
Blank
Lavinski
104 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.13K Views
What are the typical duties of an accountant for a software startup?

Apart from bookkeeping, what are the typical duties of an accountant for a small software based startup?

asked May 26 '12 at 08:47
Blank
Lavinski
104 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
3.86K Views
Choice of LLC Address when applying for EIN online

I was going through the online wizard in the IRS site to create an EIN and I got to a step where it asked me about my LLC Address. I have not filed my articles of organization yet so obviously I...

asked May 29 '12 at 04:11
Blank
Viriato
144 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.94K Views
Sole Proprietor Bank Account - use SSN or EIN?

I am just starting a small business, and I need to open a business bank account. I went into the bank today, and they asked me if I wanted to use my SSN or the EIN for the business. What's the...

asked May 30 '12 at 11:03
Blank
Sarah
6 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.86K Views
Is it worth it to create an LLC through Nolo?

Situation I am in the process of educating myself about the inner workings of an LLC, it's forms of taxation, maximizing deductions, etc. through a couple of books from Nolo, along with Limited...

asked May 10 '12 at 07:03
Blank
Viriato
144 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.28K Views
from hobby to the real thing

I started a few years ago a few blogs with the format of a directory with some business listed on it. It started by using all free stuff (free blog services, hosting, templates, images etc etc)...

asked May 10 '12 at 21:05
Blank
User983248
489 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.23K Views
Where Shall I Establish My LLC/LLP?

I am an engineer that will soon be having a sole client, an Austin, TX based company. I will be providing my services while working from my home office (in NY state); occassionally (say, once in a...

asked May 14 '12 at 06:56
Blank
User3262424
107 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.54K Views
How to kick start a web service with no working capital on hand?

I have a project on the table with a business model that involves creating a web service to streamline all the best pieces of internet marketing into one platform. Full details need to be kept...

asked May 17 '12 at 00:28
Blank
Chad
32 points