Getting Started Questions

These are the basics you'll need if you're looking to be an entrepreneur and start marketing yourself.

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.65K Views
Acquiring a customizable/generic product

I am looking at modifying a wireless scale that can transmit its gathered information wirelessly. There are plenty of patented products out there that do this, I am looking for a 'blank template'...

asked May 17 '12 at 01:41
Blank
Bungdaddy
103 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.27K Views
A few technical, non-sales guys would like to know "Where to start from ?'

We have an idea and a proof of concept, the idea is pretty specific to stealthy debuggin and binary code analysis . The problem is that we are pure technical guys, we don't know the market and...

asked May 17 '12 at 04:39
Blank
Dot Dot
6 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.54K Views
Help demystifying partnership pass-through taxation

Situation I am in the process of deciding which type of taxation to choose for my LLC. Up until this point I was leaning towards Partnership taxation because that is what LLC For Dummies was...

asked May 18 '12 at 07:09
Blank
Viriato
144 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
4.01K Views
What is/was the elevator pitch of Facebook?

An elevator pitch is a short summary used to quickly and simply define a product, service, or organization and its value proposition. What was the elevator pitch of Facebook when it started?...

asked May 20 '12 at 23:54
Blank
Anlai
375 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.93K Views
Offering some risk-free services

We are a new start up and we offer several services (Mobile,Software development,CMS,Web,etc). The classic problem that all the start-up got is to face at the begin is how to get into the market...

asked May 23 '12 at 19:20
Blank
Massimiliano Peluso
172 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.69K Views
How to get honest feedback from users you know personally?

I am about to build a proof-of-concept website, and I intend to build on it using "Lean Startup" principles. I have friends and acquaintances lined up to try it out, and I will solicit their...

asked Apr 28 '12 at 05:14
Blank
Dan B
118 points

5 Votes
4 Answers
2.26K Views
How to expand our workforce from 1 technical 'guru' to a productive team of 6

Like many fellow startups that we know, we've started like with one technical wizard who know a lot of stuff and who knows now where everything is and how it works. The system has undergone a lot...

asked May 3 '12 at 06:00
Blank
Michael Durrant
227 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.05K Views
Starting a donations fund through a website and drop boxes

I am in the process of starting a website to raise funds for school supplies to be donated to local grammar school aged children and want to contact some local business about using them as a drop...

asked May 4 '12 at 07:59
Blank
Renae
1 point

10 Votes
5 Answers
2.54K Views
When should I leave day job to pursue startup full-time?

I am trying to determine when I should quit my job to pursue a startup. Here is what I feel are the pros/cons of leaving Pros Can focus more / no time constraints Iterations are much quicker (I...

asked May 6 '12 at 01:28
Blank
David
51 points

-1 Votes
2 Answers
1.86K Views
Starting development company, how to start?

We are a team of 3 people who are developers. We would like to offer services like website / webapp development mobile app development desktop app development We are only coders, we dont have...

asked May 7 '12 at 18:40
Blank
Ahmed Al Hafoudh
108 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.19K Views
how to grow a new social network

We build a social network.. We're not the expert on the market stuffs but actually it's as hard as developing a new stuff.. Anyway I'm just curious about how to grow a new social network.. I know...

asked May 8 '12 at 18:19
Blank
Tylerdurden
131 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.98K Views
Impact Investment/Tax Questions

I want to take some of the revenue that I generate with the for-profit business I'm starting, and use it to provide start-up social enterprises that I think are interesting with some funding to...

asked Apr 17 '12 at 06:57
Blank
P.R. Pelrain
1 point

0 Votes
4 Answers
2.19K Views
Contract for start-up employees and how to secure myself as the leader of the company

I'm a computer science student and have had an idea for a website for a while. Up until now, I haven't told anyone about it(even my family and girlfriend). Anyways, I decided to tell a friend of...

asked Apr 17 '12 at 14:15
Blank
Logan Besecker
158 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.05K Views
Getting started with an LLC

Two friends and I have run a website for a year or so and now we are about to add in our premium model so we can start bringing in some money. I have been advised that we should register an LLC...

asked Apr 18 '12 at 01:58
Blank
Mike
19 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.15K Views
hiring people only when we need

we are a start up and we have to make a decision on how to deal when we have to write any documents/presentation(technical/marketing/pps/etc). Let's say by instance that I have been contacted by a...

asked Apr 23 '12 at 19:22
Blank
Massimiliano Peluso
172 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.44K Views
Does the experience spent on a startup counts in job experience?

I am in the 3rd year of my university and I am thinking of a startup but I am afraid if it fails I'll be treated as a guy with no experience after two years or a guy with same experience than...

asked Apr 25 '12 at 22:35
Blank
Aditya Anjoli
123 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
1.86K Views
Average Electricity Usage for a Startup?

I'm developing my business plan and I am trying to do some forecasting on my financials. Can anyone help me get a clue as to what is average electricity usage (kWh) for a startup. Lets say...

asked Apr 7 '12 at 04:48
Blank
Griffin
101 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
2.79K Views
What does a non-technical co-founder do?

I am a software engineer and I am thinking about jumping into the startup world. I realize that at some point in my journey, I will need help from someone. This someone could be a coder, or a...

asked Apr 7 '12 at 05:55
Blank
Denniss
116 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.31K Views
How to market a website where developers can buy and sell source code?

I've developed iPhone and Mac applications in the past, with reasonable success. Back then, Apple would take care of the distribution, and sales were pretty constant. I just launched a website...

asked Apr 9 '12 at 09:38
Blank
Boopyman
113 points

1 Votes
7 Answers
2.98K Views
Why did Instagram make it over other similar apps?

There are couple of apps similar to Instagram, such as Hipster, Pixl-o-matic, Lightbox, PicPlz & Retro Camera. Why did Instagram make it over the others?

asked Apr 11 '12 at 19:28
Blank
Newton
133 points