Ideas Questions

6 Votes
4 Answers
2.58K Views
What are the steps for getting a tech startup off the ground when you're the only team member?

I'm a software developer with over a decade of experience writing code. I've recently had an idea for a tech startup and am in the process of creating a prototype website and a pitch deck for the...

asked Dec 9 '12 at 04:56
Blank
Scott
136 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
2.74K Views
How do I validate an iPhone or iPad app idea for restaurants?

I have an iPhone/iPad app idea for which I can build an MVP pretty quickly (about a week or two at most). My target customers are local restaurants. How do I approach local restaurants to validate...

asked Nov 26 '12 at 09:16
Blank
Russell
180 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.29K Views
What are things customers could do for a discount?

I have a friend who runs a business that decorates special events. He deals a lot with customers who's budget is much less than his normal prices, but he normally just gives them huge discounts...

asked Nov 19 '12 at 10:59
Blank
Glycan
113 points

14 Votes
3 Answers
3.04K Views
When to compete on an idea?

I spend a lot of time thinking about potential start up ideas. I come up with a couple every now and then, but when I go searching online there is always quite a few competitors. I don't think I've...

asked Oct 24 '12 at 06:24
Blank
Brian D.
173 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.03K Views
Should a great project to solve one problem become a start-up?

Some time back, I set out to solve a specific problem: How can I help people who haven't met yet collaborate to create great ideas ahead of weekend startup events?I couldn't find a site out there...

asked Oct 25 '12 at 03:15
Blank
Jeremy Parsons
5,197 points

8 Votes
2 Answers
2.5K Views
When a huge company copies your startup

What do you do when a huge online company (as dominant as say Google, Apple, Microsoft etc in their respective niche) has a big feature that's been lacking in their very popular product, and your...

asked Nov 5 '12 at 23:57
Blank
Nyxynyx
193 points

5 Votes
6 Answers
3.26K Views
I have an idea but no free time - can I pay offshore developer?

I am a software developer. I have a good idea and I'd like to create a startup. I am planning to invite one or two of my colleagues as co-founders. Problems: 1) Free time I realised it is very...

asked Sep 6 '12 at 07:42
Blank
Mel
68 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.04K Views
How to work on multiple ideas?

I have multiple projects of different type and in different status, some of them are more like a business and some more like a hobby. In total there are 8. Some are started, other are launched...

asked Sep 9 '12 at 20:17
Blank
Alexandru Trandafir Catalin
157 points

11 Votes
2 Answers
3.07K Views
Does the concept of "Unlimited Vacation" increase productivity and attract talented employees?

Does the concept of "Unlimited Vacation" increase productivity and attract talented employees ? I've read about it here, specifically: Unlimited vacation fosters productivity and loyalty because...

asked Aug 1 '12 at 23:57
Blank
User1510230
56 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.28K Views
Complete Rookie Here. I Need Advice On Where to Begin From Only an Idea

I'm a complete web/entrepreneur rookie with an idea that I believe in passionately and don't know where to begin. I know for a fact that my idea is unique and will fill a huge hole in the market...

asked Aug 3 '12 at 07:09
Blank
Jrsytomato
72 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.5K Views
Consultants offers

We are a small marketing consulting company. Usually we are invited to solve some kind of problem or task. But we face a large problem. Our offer needs to have an idea of how to solve a particular...

asked Jul 10 '12 at 03:55
Blank
Boris
6 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.9K Views
Selling an idea in the public sector

Me and my partner are working on an idea for a text (SMS) service that we intend to pitch to the National Health Service in the UK as it could potentially save them a lot of money. However, minus...

asked Jul 11 '12 at 16:57
Blank
Sebastian
101 points

1 Votes
12 Answers
3.34K Views
Stuck with poor ideas, how do I find good ones?

Startup execution is by now a well understood process. The Customer Development model does a good job at delineating the different steps necessary to determine if something is a scalable,...

asked Jul 13 '12 at 11:23
Blank
Glitch
156 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.07K Views
How to propagate and fund business ideas by consumers

Looking for an easy way to create an USB-to-cloud-bridge (just one example). I once again found that the market fails to deliver some simple products I am willing to pay for. If I had time and...

asked Jul 17 '12 at 16:45
Blank
Jakob
106 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.32K Views
How to publish a new technology without having patent?

I invented a new software based hardware technology which can solve many problems. I know getting a patent takes a very long time and is not an easy task. Do I have to apply and wait to get a...

asked Jun 18 '12 at 04:51
Blank
Eric
6 points

7 Votes
2 Answers
2.37K Views
How to determine the business potential of an idea?

I am an IT engineer, I am familiar with programming and website development (not a complete expert though), I am also good with servers, OS, security and networking etc (whole 9 yards of IT). What...

asked Jun 12 '12 at 17:46
Blank
Kapish M
134 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.62K Views
Meeting with potential partners: should I make them sign a NDA?

I'm a Web developper and have a dating website idea. I'll meet in the next few weeks some webmarketers that could be my potential partners. I'll talk about the idea of course and make them an...

asked Jun 1 '12 at 22:52
Blank
Younès
120 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
3.98K Views
What is/was the elevator pitch of Facebook?

An elevator pitch is a short summary used to quickly and simply define a product, service, or organization and its value proposition. What was the elevator pitch of Facebook when it started?...

asked May 20 '12 at 23:54
Blank
Anlai
375 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.33K Views
How to avoid idea "contamination" when soliciting advice on a product

We've got a software product going into alpha release and want to invite some super users to test and give feedback. I wonder if there's any sort of steps we should be taking to prevent the issue...

asked Apr 26 '12 at 06:19
Blank
Yarin
147 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
1.9K Views
selling an idea - urban legend?

Quite some time ago, I heard two stories about genius ideas. Both of them were allegedly coming from outside the company and sold to big corporations, with those ending saving a lot of money (and...

asked May 2 '12 at 16:48
Blank
Yoav Aner
318 points