Getting Started Questions

These are the basics you'll need if you're looking to be an entrepreneur and start marketing yourself.

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.09K Views
Is it a good idea to find a co-founder with good business orientation?

I am a tech person and have been longing to create a startup but don't have enough skills in making business plans. Do you think is it a good idea to find a co-founder? Someone with orientation to...

asked Sep 10 '13 at 09:17
Blank
Abel Melquiades Callejo
47 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.61K Views
If I want to start my own Software Company and Employ people abroad - do I need to register with RCA for a business number?

To begin I am a software enthusiast with minimal business experience. I want to start a sole proprietorship where I develop ideas and then have people help me develop them for me. (people...

asked Sep 12 '13 at 06:30
Blank
B Dillan
13 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
3.47K Views
I am a senior software engineer who wants to start my own software development company

I am working as a software engineer at different posts since a decade and now I am looking to start my own software development company. My business model would be offshore development. I have...

asked Sep 13 '13 at 02:47
Blank
Vicky
101 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.32K Views
Choosing a right path to start own IT Company?

I am a web developer working for a normal IT company. My dream,my goal to start my own IT company. AS i have observed lot, many small private organizations in my locality are still using paper...

asked Sep 14 '13 at 23:41
Blank
Bhargava Katta
16 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.91K Views
UK Company Doing US Start-Up

UK company wants to start up a subsidiary in the US. The first employee and the person heading it up will be a Canadian citizen living in Montreal. What issues if any does this structure pose?

asked Sep 20 '13 at 06:39
Blank
Jim Thompson
1 point

3 Votes
1 Answers
2.08K Views
What are the legal responsibilities of a company director in the UK?

I've developed an application with a couple of friends, and we want to publish it on various app stores. This requires a business bank account and VAT registration, and after some reading , the...

asked Sep 25 '13 at 22:33
Blank
Ed Hinchliffe
118 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.24K Views
how to declare a solopreneurship

Let's say I want to start consulting. I have a name in mind for my one-person business. Can I just.... call it that? Do I have to jump through any hoops to make it official?

asked Sep 27 '13 at 00:11
Blank
Walrus The Cat
106 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
3.27K Views
What exactly does Bootstrap, Series A, Series B, etc. mean?

On a website that hosts startups I saw these terms next to "funding": Bootstrapped Seed Round Series A Series B Series C Can anyone please explain what exactly are all these terms? I found a...

asked Sep 27 '13 at 19:42
Blank
Cristic84
3 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
3K Views
How to motivate members to start using websites?

last year, i had like 8000 members, 2000 twitter followers, 2000 on facebook page, still can't motivate the members to be active on the site. it's a competition type of sites, you pay 2$ you enter...

asked Sep 29 '13 at 09:05
Blank
Fischer
116 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.22K Views
Trying to figure out the right lessons from a failed consumer web product

I created a web application that allowed users to share their ideas using a twitter like interface with some decent capabilities like location,search,voting and (ideas as response) , response...

asked Aug 26 '13 at 20:10
Blank
Arko D
101 points

7 Votes
5 Answers
2.92K Views
How to answer "What kind of protection do you have"

Every time I do a pitch for any software idea I'm asked "What kind of protection do you have?" and it always stumps me. I've asked others and they don't have a good idea either. As a start up...

asked Aug 27 '13 at 21:48
Blank
Keith Loughnane
138 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.36K Views
Catch 22 on business planning - (wholesale prices/planning)

I am looking into starting up a retail business. Part of what I would like to do involves researching wholesales costs and projected sales and profits based on the wholesale costs. However, I do...

asked Aug 31 '13 at 09:44
Blank
Danny
106 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.85K Views
Users from Chrome Web Store - who are they?

Issue, that bothers me: every day 10-15 people adds my application via Chrome Store. But I don't feel like they are using website or coming back (and bounce rate among them is nearly 100%). From...

asked Sep 6 '13 at 06:03
Blank
Joe Half Face
188 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.87K Views
Is it really important to register the startup's business name first before looking for investors?

I have heard a lot from business people that the most important things for a startup are people, idea, team. But is it really important to register the startup's business name first before looking...

asked Sep 9 '13 at 08:29
Blank
Abel Melquiades Callejo
47 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.92K Views
legal advice for a beginner

Please forgive the general nature of this question, I'm simply a beginner looking for direction and advice. As an engineer, I do not have a background in business but I've recently taken an...

asked Sep 10 '13 at 05:58
Blank
Tom
6 points

8 Votes
2 Answers
2.56K Views
When did you know it was time to leave the 9-5?

Software dev myself - been working on startup idea for a four months now - I'm a solo founder ( until I can find the right person) - as previous partnerships were difficult to maintain My...

asked Aug 12 '13 at 22:33
Blank
Code Talk
253 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.64K Views
Got the niche, business model, system design, waiting customers...need to build it.

Classic Chicken or Egg Dilemma: I need to raise funds to build the system I have designed. I need the system built to generate revenue from my customer. I need to be generating revenue to raise...

asked Aug 14 '13 at 14:36
Blank
W00dc4ip
18 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
4.21K Views
What is a good structure for a partnership MOU?

When two or more people are evaluating a business model, they may desire to have a MOU (memorandum of understanding) to document their expectations about how they will share responsibilities and...

asked Aug 17 '13 at 00:09
Blank
New Alexandria
221 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2.71K Views
is it worth to immigrate to USA to start a business?

I want to start a business and have an opportunity to immigrate to US. I am at a crossroads in my life. I have a good business idea and need web developers and programmers to start my website as...

asked Aug 21 '13 at 23:15
Blank
User27529
6 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
4.1K Views
How much equity should startup Independent contractors get?

So, A friend of mine has a brand created for a game, characters, story, the works. He also a rough idea about how the game should be which looked pretty solid. He took out about $40,000 loan and...

asked Aug 25 '13 at 03:43
Blank
Brybam
103 points