Getting Started Questions

These are the basics you'll need if you're looking to be an entrepreneur and start marketing yourself.

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.86K Views
Prefunded startup employee compensation

I'm going to be working for a startup that is prefunding. They have received a grant for housing and a bit more. I was wondering what I should negotiate in terms of salary and equity. I don't want...

asked Aug 25 '13 at 08:43
Blank
Sean Fisher
108 points

0 Votes
0 Answers
2.16K Views
Is it possible to aggregate credit card statement information legally? If so, what are the steps, and what things do I need to keep in mind?

I am looking to build a website which, among other functions, aggregates credit card transaction information (namely the amount of money somebody has spent on each of their credit cards over the...

asked Jul 26 '13 at 02:24
Blank
N00b
101 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.2K Views
How can I figure out why 'Refuse' Google Statistics is so high?

I have an educational application, and it gains some little traffic from Chrome Web Store and Facebook App listing. But Google Analytic says, that 'refuse' is extremely high - 70%-90%. Refuse -...

asked Jul 27 '13 at 23:47
Blank
Joe Half Face
188 points

3 Votes
5 Answers
6.08K Views
Company name same as product name

I am currently in the process of forming a software startup. My first product is essentially finished. All that's holding me back at the moment is that I can't seem to find a suitable company name....

asked Aug 3 '13 at 03:11
Blank
Ben
136 points

1 Votes
5 Answers
2.53K Views
Deciding between hiring a developer or building the website myself

I'm looking to start an online business. I have an idea and I have it on paper. I am not sure if I should use a web developer or if I should use one of the builders I keep coming across online. I...

asked Aug 3 '13 at 06:06
Blank
User27165
8 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
1.89K Views
How to write an intrigued invitation mail to event organizers, to list their events?

I have created a simple-clever search engine for events, however I would like to make the website known to event organizers, so instead of me adding the events found in other websites, they will...

asked Aug 3 '13 at 07:12
Blank
Nikolai
125 points

11 Votes
6 Answers
2.83K Views
Now that I understand that no one needs the product I've been building, what can I do?

So, at this point I think there is no sense in waiting for some miracle. 120 people visited my site, and no one became a user, even though my application is free. What options do I have? Should I...

asked Aug 4 '13 at 04:11
Blank
Joe Half Face
188 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.57K Views
Co-founders: do long-distance relationships work?

A partner and I are working on a web-based service and have reached the prototype phase - I've completed a working prototype of the website and we are now in the process of refining what we have....

asked Aug 7 '13 at 02:02
Blank
Shereth
11 points

3 Votes
1 Answers
1.81K Views
Hiring off shore contractors, US based start up

Since I am on H1 visa and I am not supposed to work/ contribute directly to my own company, what would be the best way to manage company proceedings. If I plan to hire a manager, who would get...

asked Jul 6 '13 at 04:22
Blank
User596374
116 points

6 Votes
4 Answers
2.29K Views
Having a parent as a co-founder, issues and solutions

My dad has a business idea. Being much older than me, and having previously worked in software companies for decades, my dad is more experienced in business than I am - although he has never ran or...

asked Jul 8 '13 at 16:56
Blank
Kevin
31 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
4.7K Views
Can you put CEO as title in your LinkedIn while working full time?

I am working full time as a Software Developer and I am making my startup go live this September 2013. My question is that, should I/Not put CEO/Founder Title in my LinkedIn profile while working...

asked Jul 15 '13 at 23:22
Blank
Rg 3
136 points

4 Votes
3 Answers
3.12K Views
Bootstrapping a Startup while having a full-time job

I have a full-time job, 40 hours a week. I make good money that helps me have a secure life and leaves me some money for savings + about $200 to fund for my project. Basically I can do both the...

asked Jul 17 '13 at 05:39
Blank
Alex
31 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.25K Views
How can I check my service? (like consumer-proof)

I have a prototype - educational web service and I just want to get some real users - would they use it, their feedback and so on. And I just don't know, where I can get them. At the moment site...

asked Jul 19 '13 at 20:04
Blank
Joe Half Face
188 points

-1 Votes
1 Answers
2.94K Views
Do infographics need to have a disclaimer?

I would like to create some infographics to publish them on Pinterest, twitter and the blog on my website. As my infographic will contain some public available financial data about companies listed...

asked Jul 21 '13 at 21:52
Blank
Alex R
99 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.07K Views
Need suggestion on launching/executing an ad network

We are about to launch an interstitial ad network for our country. Our startup is similar to companies like adfly and linkbuck. We need suggestions on how to properly launch our company. We are a...

asked Jun 6 '13 at 22:20
Blank
Nedy
109 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.59K Views
How can I protect my future position in a startup?

I took part alone in a 4 months acceleration program for startups, during which I worked on the idea, I did market and customer research and all the usual things needed before start a new company....

asked Jun 10 '13 at 06:51
Blank
Andrea
26 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.28K Views
Have an idea. How to start?

I actually have a very nice idea in IT field. It is a large online game which is easy to monetize in case of popularity. I am also a programmer myself so I generally know how to start with my idea....

asked Jul 1 '13 at 04:40
Blank
Artem Moskalev
118 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.28K Views
Ownership Issue of Open Source project when moving to VC funding

An open source project I designed & developed as my thesis in grad school has been continuing development through a non profit organization that hired me full time. Throughout my work there,...

asked Jul 4 '13 at 01:54
Blank
Kim Prisin
16 points

1 Votes
0 Answers
2.26K Views
Incubator for pay?

Say, I have: An idea for a tech company / product, that I want to get realized. Sufficient time, right now. Seed capital, which I am willing also to spend on guidance. Citizenship in a country...

asked May 18 '13 at 02:13
Blank
Feklee
148 points

4 Votes
5 Answers
2.94K Views
Should I launch Beta product now?

I am 50% done with my startup and I am appying to Techcrunch Disrupt at San Fran this Sept: http://techcrunch.com/events/disrupt-sf-2013/event-info/ They said that they will prefer companies who...

asked May 24 '13 at 00:06
Blank
Coder
28 points