Saas Questions

7 Votes
4 Answers
2.78K Views
Is yearly subscription for a new SaaS a bad idea?

We're working hard on a new SaaS idea. We're bootstrapping as much as we can and are not looking for outside investment. Our goal was start charging for the service on a yearly basis, in our minds...

asked May 2 '12 at 20:05
Blank
Littlejim84
141 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.6K Views
What is the best pricing model for a service based on requests?

I have a product for monitoring specific areas of content within webpages and notifying the customer when changes occur to this content and what they are. (E.g. monitor the latest stories on a news...

asked Mar 28 '12 at 23:01
Blank
Yojimbo
326 points

3 Votes
2 Answers
2.45K Views
Need business advice on growing SaaS business

Sorry for the long question, but I promise it's a good read as it includes a challenging topic on growing a bootstrapped business, which I imagine applies to many of you as well. I look forward to...

asked Mar 18 '12 at 01:19
Blank
Novice18
18 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.24K Views
Do I need a phone number for my Saas application

I am building a SaaS app, it's a pure search and download data type of app so I am not expecting much customer interaction other than site usage and I am wrestling with the question of weather I...

asked Mar 20 '12 at 00:09
Blank
Tim
670 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
4.49K Views
What email address convention does your SaaS startup use?

We run a small SaaS startup and we're using GMail for Business. Each member of staff currently has a personal email address using their first name. For example [email protected],...

asked Feb 23 '12 at 18:26
Blank
Kosta Kontos
216 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.16K Views
How do you bill for customisations in your SaaS offering?

We provide a customisable SaaS solution, and have adopted the classic billing model of a monthly user subscription fee. However some of our clients also require us to make customisations to their...

asked Feb 24 '12 at 18:38
Blank
Kosta Kontos
216 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
1.76K Views
SaaS limitations for high-volume but low-profit organisations?

We are providing a SaaS Service (currently in open beta) and thinking about our pricing tiers. We want to offer plans that grow at the same pace that our customers businesses grow. We are thus...

asked Feb 29 '12 at 11:19
Blank
Sam
13 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.53K Views
Business model to sell an innovative and complex enterprise SaaS application

Our Startup company developed a web application for Data Analysis in Marketing. It's a B2B product that is innovative and complex. Although the app is very simple to use, the elaboration of the...

asked Mar 2 '12 at 06:39
Blank
João Daniel
111 points

8 Votes
7 Answers
3.67K Views
How Much Can I Sell My SaaS Product Currently Earning Me $2,000/month?

I have a web service targeted at web designers that currently earns about $2,000 per month in revenue. It is a SaaS business and my customers have been with me for years and we are growing (albeit...

asked Feb 18 '12 at 15:20
Blank
Anonymous
43 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.29K Views
How to simply estimate lifetime of a customer in early days of a startup

How do you estimate (simply) the lifetime of a customer in the early days of a SaaS startup? E.g. in the first, say 3 months, you will have a number of customers who have already left and a number...

asked Feb 6 '12 at 22:47
Blank
Ryan
1,365 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.97K Views
Marketing to a Dispersed Niche?

This may be similar to a previously asked question ( What is standard marketing practice for a niche SAAS product? ) but I'm hoping that by providing a bit more detail, others will have additional...

asked Jan 21 '12 at 10:59
Blank
Shawn
6 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
2.01K Views
What is the most effective way that a start-up can go about hiring a marketing firm?

We have a "clouded" solution that is ready for users to start using but we are unsure about how to advertise the service. We have our pricing models complete but it's a best guess based on...

asked Jan 10 '12 at 05:42
Blank
Tim
670 points

7 Votes
2 Answers
2.53K Views
Has anyone sold a "fork" version of their software?

I created a SaaS that became quite popular over the weekend. I had a steady stream of users sign up and many are actually still using it (lots of folks who signed up out of curiosity). Anyway, I...

asked Jan 14 '12 at 01:54
Blank
Luckytaxi
177 points

4 Votes
7 Answers
2.63K Views
Will Open-Sourcing my SaaS solution positively impact revenue?

I have yet to go public with my SaaS startup, and am considering releasing it under an open-source license. Below are some thoughts I've collated in answer to this question: No As competitors...

asked Jan 16 '12 at 21:13
Blank
A T
38 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.13K Views
How important is it to present your SaaS as a corporation?

TL;DR: Would presenting your SaaS on the world web stage as created by a UK business (ltd), instead of by a continental European individual with a non-English sounding name, make a difference in...

asked Dec 29 '11 at 20:23
Blank
Danmaz74
381 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.97K Views
What is a good way to find investors for a start up?

I have developed my SAAS on a shoestring budget and I have just made it production ready so I am now looking for ways to market it to my customer base. I, however, do not have the funds available...

asked Jan 2 '12 at 23:38
Blank
Tim
670 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.27K Views
What type of developers to hire for outsourced development?

I'm trying to build a minimum viable product SaaS website as a proof of concept, and wanted to know what type of developers I should be looking for if using an outsourcing website like odesk /...

asked Jan 7 '12 at 07:21
Blank
Kenny
3 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.11K Views
Pricing my web application - validity of a demand curve?

I'm in the phase of designing the price structure of my web application, and I'm trying to use a demand curve as a tool to find the "best" price. A few questions pops up in my head: How can this...

asked Dec 26 '11 at 04:26
Blank
Martin Hn
234 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
2.81K Views
Do I need to offer a free version to sell my SaaS?

I have a software as a service model for content management system. What I'm wondering is do I have to have a free version tier in order to sell it? Meaning do I need to have some threshold of...

asked Dec 28 '11 at 16:59
Blank
Zipstory.Com
120 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.17K Views
Looking for a one-stop-solution to setup a subscription-based service

I am looking for a one-stop-solution to setup a subscription-based service: [subscription page] + [payment] + [Delivery of username/password] + [access to tool based on username / password] I do...

asked Dec 8 '11 at 22:11
Blank
Tucson
714 points