Marketing Questions

Marketing is the process of communicating the value of a product or service to customers, for the purpose of influencing buyer behavior and/or precipitate behavioral change.

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.88K Views
Commercial product name similar to open source product name

I have a commercial software product that will be launching soon. It has a very similar name to a piece of open source software in a non-English speaking country. The only difference is a...

asked Jan 2 '13 at 08:38
Blank
Firstresponder
113 points

3 Votes
4 Answers
2.28K Views
How do I effectively communicate my mobile site to non-technical users?

I have a product designed for mobile browsers. When I promote the site to my target audience, I find that they understand the term "app", but terms like "website" or "web application" do not...

asked Jan 4 '13 at 01:32
Blank
Ray023
198 points

3 Votes
3 Answers
2.31K Views
Stealing customers from competitors on Twitter?

I am currently running a very simple side project which I hope will lead to something bigger. I see quite a few tweets from my competitors customers saying they're using their product for a...

asked Jan 8 '13 at 07:28
Blank
Abs
118 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
2.34K Views
How should a press release be written?

I uploaded my brand new physics 2D game to the playstore a few days ago, and have had a substantial amount of downloads per day so far. I think it has great potential and people like that kind of...

asked Jan 8 '13 at 23:18
Blank
Florent Valdelievre
11 points

0 Votes
4 Answers
2.07K Views
Would it be beneficial for an internet startup to give money to twitter followers?

I need to generate some traffic for a internet startup and have been brainstorming ideas. My budget is limited, so I came up with the idea to give money to people who follow my startup on twitter....

asked Dec 16 '12 at 22:25
Blank
Mark
126 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.23K Views
How do I develop my personal brand with two unrelated topics?

I have a full time job and career but I also have a side business developing desktop and web apps. There is very little overlap between my career and my side business. I have been using my personal...

asked Dec 17 '12 at 17:04
Blank
Mike T
174 points

1 Votes
4 Answers
1.96K Views
Exchanging newsletter mentions and tweets with other startups?

What do you think about exchanging exposure with other startups which has users that are your potential clients? For example you have a time management app, other startup has a note taking app,...

asked Dec 18 '12 at 01:57
Blank
Virgil
8 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
2K Views
How to get long time clients

We are a startup web development venture based in India,we have some one time clients from e-commerce industry but they will not benefit us in the long run.So we are planning to showcase the work...

asked Dec 19 '12 at 15:05
Blank
Manu Kuriakose
36 points

4 Votes
7 Answers
2.77K Views
Advertising for my ecommerce startup

We are an ecommerce startup into online services in India and are looking for ways to advertise ourselves. Is google adword or facebook ad a good choice? Also does getting big time into social...

asked Dec 19 '12 at 15:25
Blank
Bhasky
24 points

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.41K Views
How to learn about marketing in a new market?

I make games on iOS, Android and Amazon. Although it is already bad on iOS and Android, on Amazon the results are so bad that if they were worse it would be negative. Although my company needs to...

asked Dec 20 '12 at 02:35
Blank
Speeder
106 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2K Views
How do we additional marketing channels such as affiliate partnerships, Fab.com, specialty retail/wholesale for a physical product?

We are college students bootstrapping out tech startup the AirBNB cereal box way and have launched a physical product to help with this effort; we sell exclusively through our own website. This...

asked Dec 26 '12 at 22:38
Blank
Word Bi Lly
11 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
2.62K Views
Best strategies for approaching customers via phone

We are currently creating a spin-off from the university, that offers services to biotech/pharma companies. We have tried to reach our first customers by cold emails, but we were not very...

asked Dec 27 '12 at 18:55
Blank
Flow
114 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
1.98K Views
Location Specific Domain Name?

I am about to name a business that I have been working on and I want to leave room to expand but I don't want that to dampen the response for the initial location where I am starting the business....

asked Dec 28 '12 at 06:05
Blank
Clifgray
200 points

4 Votes
1 Answers
2.19K Views
What are some good techniques for marketing a crowdfunding campaign?

Question: What strategies have been proven to work in marketing a crowdfunding campaign? Background: We/I have a project called WikiSeat, and we have tried (unsuccessfully) to run a campaign on...

asked Dec 4 '12 at 05:46
Blank
Apis Girl
38 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
2.32K Views
Where to get software review?

I'm trying to push my friend's software to Wikipedia, to do this I need real software reviews, but that seems impossible to get it, I've written emails (with our software free licenses for them, we...

asked Dec 5 '12 at 05:13
Blank
Bartosz Wójcik
111 points

4 Votes
2 Answers
2.29K Views
How to transform a free trial user to a paying one?

We are a B2B web company, which offers a tool for online sellers ( amazon, ebay ). Since we got more and more free trial user, our ratio from trial to paying ( which was before near 80% ) got...

asked Dec 6 '12 at 07:43
Blank
Michael Hirn
21 points

5 Votes
2 Answers
2.92K Views
Who do I need to hire?

I've started a company approximately 2 years ago that provides monitoring services for a niche cloud-based industry. My target customer base are IT and Development shops of various companies...

asked Dec 6 '12 at 09:05
Blank
Igorek
886 points

-1 Votes
1 Answers
3.48K Views
How much would a company pay to be a mobile app sponsor?

Nearing the end of our mobile application development, we are looking to get some initial funding in the form of a sponsorship. Our application would hit both iPhone and Android app stores. The...

asked Dec 12 '12 at 06:25
Blank
Brian
1 point

1 Votes
1 Answers
1.8K Views
In promo material, what can I put besides "Contact Us" when it's just me?

In a few weeks, I will launch a marketing campaign for a product I've created. I will create a promotional YouTube video with voice-over work. My inclination is to close the video with "Contact us...

asked Nov 21 '12 at 04:44
Blank
Ray023
198 points

1 Votes
2 Answers
2.03K Views
Adwords - Understanding Modified Broad Match Keywords

I'm not completely new to Adwords optimization, but I guess the learning process never really ends... My company is focused tightly on a specific niche. All of my keywords (across several ad...

asked Nov 22 '12 at 02:05
Blank
Bc Web
101 points