Website Questions

Setting up a website is a key step in starting a new business and in today's world, an effective web presence is a vital marketing tool.

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.76K Views
Sales Commission website with Geolocation?

I'm looking for a Customer Relationship Management solution with an easy to use interface. The simplest way to describe what I'm looking for is through a [very rough!] mockup: The idea is that...

asked Feb 9 '12 at 22:38
Blank
A T
38 points

2 Votes
2 Answers
3.88K Views
How to sell advertising space on the website during initial stages?

I'm building a web application for an academic community. I'm relying on advertisements as the revenue model for my business. My website is currently in its very initial stage so, how can I get the...

asked Feb 10 '12 at 07:19
Blank
Aditya
18 points

0 Votes
6 Answers
2.8K Views
Initial funding for Server cost

I'm nearing completion of my website. I need advice on how i would go about server costs? I haven't got the type of money to pay for a good dedicated/VPS server for high traffic. Should i go about...

asked Jan 25 '12 at 17:17
Blank
User892134
101 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
3.17K Views
Use of copyrighted brand images On commercial website

I can't seem to find any exact language on using a company's copyrighted logos on a website. I am going to make a website for a business who distributes products related to a large soda company....

asked Jan 30 '12 at 13:32
Blank
Russ H Walker
8 points

4 Votes
4 Answers
2.44K Views
Selling a small project that got big

I have a possible opportunity to sell a small web application that started as a personal project and got a significant amount of press. The company that may buy it would benefit from owning the...

asked Feb 1 '12 at 11:42
Blank
Fred
23 points

6 Votes
2 Answers
2.36K Views
Why does a web startup need millions on VC capital?

One of the great benefits of the web application business is that startup costs are generally fairly low compared to brick and mortar businesses. Web hosting is getting cheaper and programming...

asked Feb 2 '12 at 04:59
Blank
Jason C
41 points

2 Votes
1 Answers
3.7K Views
How to sell advertising-space on my website?

I have an idea for a website which I think will generate traffic. I want to put the material itself on the website but minimize taking care of the advertising which is how it's supposed to generate...

asked Jan 20 '12 at 01:49
Blank
Startup1
90 points

2 Votes
3 Answers
2.06K Views
Is marketing the most important thing?

I was reading about the creation of mingle2.com, and what struck me as curious is that at that time (in 2007) the online dating market was well on its way to being saturated (aside from niche areas...

asked Jan 20 '12 at 02:17
Blank
Jason C
41 points

5 Votes
3 Answers
2.63K Views
Do websites with pictures of people on the first page make the company look more "human"

Do websites with pictures of people on the first page make the company look more "human", therefore contributing to the success of the product or service the web site tries to promote? Short...

asked Jan 21 '12 at 11:27
Blank
Maxim V. Pavlov
217 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.06K Views
One or two companies

I am facing a dilemma: Currently my mobile/web development start-up company is working on two non-profit projects, that may find an audience and therefore promote the company's name among mobile...

asked Jan 22 '12 at 05:04
Blank
Maxim V. Pavlov
217 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.79K Views
Is this equity split unfair?

Ok, so I'm a developer. I was approached the other week by a friend who had an idea for a website that he wanted to make, and he came to me because a) we know each other, and b) I've given him...

asked Jan 9 '12 at 18:03
Blank
Semisight
103 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
1.96K Views
How to get vendors to be on a coupon site

I'm woking on a startup where we will put coupon codes on our website and in return we will get 3% of the net revenue of that sale. My question is how could I get vendors on this website? I don't...

asked Jan 10 '12 at 11:49
Blank
Ben Thomson
140 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.49K Views
is this ad revenue model accurate?

I'm setting up an ad-supported website and trying to work through the numbers. I came across this article that gives a model. Being a newb at advertising, I've got quite a few questions: For CPM...

asked Jan 14 '12 at 14:10
Blank
Ginius
101 points

6 Votes
3 Answers
2.91K Views
On launching new web application, build or campaign first?

I'm a software guy so the approach I tend towards is to build something which does at least some core functionality first before telling anyone about it, and refine it through usage. But recently...

asked Jan 17 '12 at 21:18
Blank
Barra MacMathuna
133 points

2 Votes
6 Answers
3.5K Views
Webhosting solutions for a startup

We have a small business that needs a webhosting solution. We will probably be able to support the following: Login to set up a shopping cart software (Magento most likely). Unlimited...

asked Dec 30 '11 at 01:31
Blank
Karlson
1,779 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.56K Views
Doing the coding on my own then outsourcing the design

I had a free couple of weeks, so I wrote the PHP script for a website that I had in mind. To be honest, I am not the best - I am just an amateur. I have read a couple of books (o'reilly) and that...

asked Dec 30 '11 at 22:59
Blank
Kraken
133 points

0 Votes
1 Answers
2.05K Views
How much can an ad-driven website earn per click?

I am considering starting an ad-driven website. I'll probably start with Google AdWords. (Is there a better alternative?) What is the "typical" amount a website can earn per click or per...

asked Jan 5 '12 at 11:38
Blank
User522962
108 points

0 Votes
3 Answers
2.27K Views
What type of developers to hire for outsourced development?

I'm trying to build a minimum viable product SaaS website as a proof of concept, and wanted to know what type of developers I should be looking for if using an outsourcing website like odesk /...

asked Jan 7 '12 at 07:21
Blank
Kenny
3 points

0 Votes
2 Answers
7.07K Views
EU domain to start a business. Good idea?

This is my first question here, I am going to start a business, but as you know it's not easy to find a good domain .com (if you don't want pay hundreds or thousands $). I have found a good domain,...

asked Jan 8 '12 at 01:30
Blank
Alessandro Ds
103 points

1 Votes
3 Answers
2.53K Views
Monetizing a site that could be seen as doing charity work/sensitive niche?

I'm building a site and community around a particular disability which I have. I have a number of ideas that I'm sure will make the site a success in terms of getting visitors, but I'd also like to...

asked Dec 19 '11 at 02:13
Blank
Anonymous
557 points